Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fuel filter refurb?
 Login/Join

posted
with a cheap set of fuel filters for my 06 6.o powerstroke costing around $50, i was wondering if there is any way to possibly solvent treat and wash spent filters to return them to a "like new" status. or should i stop being dutch (from Pennsylvania) and just buy a new set?

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OEM Fuel Filters on my Nissan are about the same price.
At first I changed to the generic CAV filters but these are problematic, block fairly quickly and were a total pain in the arse to change.

I ended up going to Subaru Filters. They are a metal can with in and out fittings and last for ages.
They also keep up with the fuel demands of the 4.2 Turbo which is turned well up.
In winter I sit the filters on the turbo Manifold to get a bit of warmth in to them to melt out any fats.

These work really well and are far cheaper than the oem units.

posted Hide Post
that's a pretty good idea to heat the filter. im thinking i may be able to soak them in seafoam and then now ,i guess, set them in hot clean diesel. of course it wouldnt draw out all the dirt but im thinking it should def remove the waxy gunk.

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add valves to divert hot IP return fuel into the inlet side of the filter. Or add a VW type "thermo T" into the line.

posted Hide Post
wont that send the melted fats straight to the engine?

posted Hide Post
i was thinking more about this and i remebered the oven as an all encompassing and controlable heat source. i know it will soften headlight gasket sealant so it should melt stuck on fats. the only prob is im sure it will stink up the house and def the oven so maybe ill just use a heat gun.

also, i was talking to my girlfriend about it and she suggested alcohol soaking. i asked her why specifically and she said that is what people use to refurb hooka pen heating coils (vaporizers,e-cigarettes, whatever you call them). the "vapor" is made by heating glycerin either propalene glycol or vegetable glycerin and removes any traces of old flavors. so im thinking it will def remove any stuck on waxy WVO fats from the filter.

my plan is to heat then treat.

also also, how hard is it to install the cheap inline prefilter? i need a special fuel line tool just to get the fuel lines off the pump so i want to be sure i know what im doing before i start cutting hoses. i drive an 06 6.0 f250

posted Hide Post
Racor 900 series turbine style water separator/filter. 3 stages of water removal and a particulate filter. ebay approximately $100 replacement filter approximately $10. available in 2,10, and 30 micron.

one crappy ford oem hit or miss filter...approximately $60

its obvious. 6 marine grade filters or 1 questionable oem replacement designed for diesel only. im removing my $#itty ford filter from the fuel(lots of words) unit and installing one of these.

and I was going to wash my filter in a pickle jar. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
it even has a clear bowl with a water drain valve. middle finger to you ford motor company. we needed this and a decent pump.