Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

in tank blending
 Login/Join

posted
due to an oncoming move I have to dismantle my filtration/blending processor. This has got me wondering if I can continue to blend WVO in tank. I now mix the blend in a cone bottom tank. But am considering simply trying out in-tank mixing. That is; some pump diesel and then some filtered WVO.
How effective is this in-tank blending? Thanks in advance.

1983 Mercedes Benz 300SD
290,000 miles. 50K on alt fuels.

Location: North Shore Vancouver | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can be an effective way to clog the intake screen when the temperatures drop below 10°C and the PHO and fats settle out. If it never gets cold it might be OK.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
posted January 13, 2015 12:03 PM Hide Post
I am new. working on a processing unit. its not done and never will be buts its producing.

I have done experiments in blending in mason jars. my findings are as follows:
1. my control samples were a 0.5micron filtered WVO/WMO mixed jar and an unfiltered settled WVO/WMO mix jar.

2. after 2 weeks and dropping temperatures both jars settled even more. the filtered jar is currently at half full of sediment. the unfiltered jar has three layers (clear, cloudy, dark cloudy top to bottom) equal size bands.

hypothesis: the filtered oil is less dense and therefor needs more time to settle as saturated fats appear to be more numerous in the filtered jar even though both were from the same batch.

3. other jars were drown from the same batch and mixed with diesel and or low octane RUG. all three jars precipitated a very small quantity of particulates which immediately settled to the bottom. and the fluids appear cloudy.

hypothesis: the fuel stabilizers in diesel and RUG prevent most of the saturated fats from coming out of solution (ie:gelling) and causes a drastic density drop allowing heavier particulates suspended in solution to precipitate. or and I wouldn't know why but there is an actual chemical reaction occurring.

4. I drew 2 jars to mix 50/50 with diesel to analyze the necessity of providing adjitation for mixing. my findings were that the jar that was mixed only by gravity pouring (as you would into your vehicle) settled with diesel mostly on top and the jar that was mixed by manual shaking remained uniformly mixed.

conclusion: whatever is in your tank will not mix completely with what you put in it and may mix better as you drive.

I hope this helps.

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mszostek:
I have done experiments in blending in mason jars. my findings are as follows:
1. my control samples were a 0.5micron filtered WVO/WMO mixed

I do`nt know did you use SEARCH,but my advice is to use a LOT.
For WVO and WMO mix,bad,very bad idea.

sorry for my English
KEEP IT SIMPLE ALWAYS if YOU CAN

Location: Europe | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WMO bad to burn in vehicles in cities, it makes toxic pollution.

Blending WMO with WVO is unpredictable, and often causes problems.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its been sitting in those jars for about a month and a half as a evenly mixed oil. the rest of the batch has been mixed recently prior to filtering and bottling. it will be used within a week so i am absolutely confident it will sit in my tank and burn acceptably.

its mostly WVO wich keeps the smoke and stink down. ie:there is no smoke and it smells like grilled beef and fries (or chips for the UK friends)

the EPA over here has deemed it an acceptable WMO disposal method and what is better for your engine than lube on both sides of the piston. i live in the country.

also, i have read in a couple of places that the lubricity, detergents, and solvents are good to run through your fuel system and injectors.

it works and it pushes my truck for free.

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
but that is why i mixed them small batch in the clear jars. i wanted to see what actually happens. i can read all day of peoples opinions and alleged facts or i can mix it myself and scientifically watch it. it dropped below freezing here for a couple days and no seperation. i leave them exposed to temps my truck is also experiencing to see exactly what would be occuring in my fuel tank.

disclamer: my below freezing is not everybody elses so test it yourself. mason jars are cheaper than buyng real scientific beakers and test tubes, more readily available, and what man doesnt love mixing wierd s#!t in jars and staring at it for hours like youre a real f#@king scientist.

posted Hide Post
One of the best solvents / diluent / viscosity reducers to add to UVO is premium grade petrol. It also improves combustion, especially with cold starts.

In addition to the sample jar outside in the cold, add one of these inline filters between the tank and the fuel feed pump, somewhere in the engine compartment. It gives a quick visual check on your fuel condition.

Wix 33972 & Napa 3972 Fuel Filter
Plastic Universal In-line fuel filter w/ 5/16 lines - can be used w/ gasoline or diesel fuel (33002 only to be used w/ gas)

posted Hide Post
good idea thanks Smile

posted Hide Post
i tried blending in tank,figuring that 1/2 tank of diesel in truck would mix / blend with wvo passing thru it. truck started hard & runs fine. i believe if i had let the truck run while filling, the heat / vibrations of truck running would mix / ok. i would not recommend doing this. blend in storage & then fill truck.