BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Blending/Mixing Fuels  Hop To Forums  General Blending Discussion    Accidentally filled 96 dodge cummins diesel tank with Gasoline

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accidentally filled 96 dodge cummins diesel tank with Gasoline
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

On my way to work this morning @ 5:30 am I stopped to fill up my dino tank. I placed the nozzle in the filler neck, wiped away the eyebugers, and to my horror noticed that it was the unleaded gasoline spout. 15 gallons made it in. After cussing for a few minutes, I was late for work. So I put in 2 quarts of 10 w 40 motor oil to give it some viscosity, then topped off with 16 gallons of diesel (+ the few gallons of diesel that was aready in the tank). I drove about 20 miles... no problem. I stopped again and for good measure dumped in two more quarts of 10 w 40. It took a few extra cranks to start. Drove 20 more miles... made it to work no problem.

Now just gotta make it back home? Am I safe to run out 1/4 of the tank and dilute with more diesel. or should I drain the Tank ASAP?

Daniel

I want to get off grid!

1996 Ram 2500 converted March 2008- 2 tank homemade system. 205k miles 25k miles on veg so far.

Location: Tahlequah, OK | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whew... what a mix.

So you think you're running at about a 50/50 mix now with about 30 gallons in the tank.

And you have a 2-tank system. How much are you driving on the Dino? Just starting?

If you have a couple of extra gas cans I'd probably siphon out, say half of it and add more diesel or biodiesel. The biodiesel would actually add more lubricity than diesel. Note, some people have had issues with in-tank blending with biodiesel but it should be ok if you have good circulation.

That would leave you with about a 25% mix in your vehicle, and 15 gallons in cans.

In the future you could dump 5 gallons (of 50% gasoline) per 30 gallon tank back in which would give you less than a 10% mix in the tank.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, pretty scary. I can't believe it ran. I think it is actually more gasoline than 50% maybe even 60 %. Keelec, I'm not using the wvo tank now. I think I will try to siphon some of it out before the commute home and pray that the damage is not done. I hope that engine oil saved the ip. I will probably try to siphon out most of it and refuel. I would use the mixture to blend with Veggie but it already has the 10 w 40 in it. Thanks for the input.

I want to get off grid!

1996 Ram 2500 converted March 2008- 2 tank homemade system. 205k miles 25k miles on veg so far.

Location: Tahlequah, OK | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would use the mixture to blend with Veggie but it already has the 10 w 40 in it.

That won't make a difference. Just add VO or BD to get the ULP down to 10% and it'll be fine.
Older diesels are quite tolerant of fuel mixes. Lubricity would be the only issue and you dealt with that by adding motor oil.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,
I was under the impression that vo reacts with motor oil causing polymerization.

side note: These dodges have some type of roll over valve so you can't siphon. I am pressurizing the fuel tank to push this mess out near the ip! Thanks for the information guys. I will be much more alert at the gas station going forward. But hopefully I will get the SVO going again soon so I don't have to go back often. Big Grin

I want to get off grid!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I was under the impression that vo reacts with motor oil causing polymerization

That's with used motor oil in hot crankcases or mixes of UMO and UVO heated in home made processors.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks John.

Any ideas as to what kind of damage could have occurred driving 40 miles on a 60/40 ulp/diesel + 1 gal of motor oil?

I want to get off grid!

posted Hide Post
I'd venture to say none. You attended to the lubricity issue. If it was going to be a combustion problem the engine wouldn't have run or you would have noticed operating anomalies.

posted Hide Post
If you want to ease your nerves, pump out as much "fuel" as you can.

I doubt any damage has been done nor will occur. As john has stated you have dealt with the lubrication by adding the motor oil. This is short term and is unrelated to polymerization.

I have operated with 30% RUG intentionally.

Just go for a nice long ride and flush it out the exhaust.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DCS>
posted
The paranoia of misfueling in anything but the latest techno wizz bang engines is largely BS spread around by those that like to earn a good wad of cash from replacing components or indeed, whole fuel systems.

The truth is either the things will run or they won't. i have seen tests where vehicles were misfueled ( both petrol and Diesels) and after replacing the fuel and getting it out of the system the things ran just fine as they did before.

I agree to lower the amount of ULP in the tank then blend it down some more and you will be fine.
I have been running up to 20% ULP for years and the only side effect is that the ULP/ veg blends work far better than with veg alone even when the veg is run through a HE.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to pump out about half of the mix and top off with diesel. I also added half a quart of Lucas fuel treatment/ injector cleaner. It is running great. I guess I might start blending rug with my veggie oil in the future. Now off to work on my "new" '83 300 sd. Lots of thanks for the posts. This forum rocks!

I want to get off grid!

posted Hide Post
I did the same thing I put 8 gal. Of gas then put 18 diesel ran good for 4 days then started acting up first gave me these codes po2146 and po2149 then I cleared them came up like 2 days later then off again now they won't come on but my truck misses a lot what do u guys think plz help