BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Blending/Mixing Fuels  Hop To Forums  General Blending Discussion    Blending in 05 Jetta tdi ?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blending in 05 Jetta tdi ?
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone blend in the newer 04 plus VW tdi engines? I had been running my 98tdi on a heated two tank system for 9 months. Burnt 200 gallons with the two tank system. Something got noisey like a tapping lifter. I stopped burning oil for 3 weeks and the noise went away. So I stopped using the 2 tank system and went with blending 20 % wvo and 80% diesel. It worked fine but if I went higher than 20 percent the engine made the tapping sound. I kept the percent low at 10- 15 percent and it seemed ok. Car has 360,000km or 220,000mi. Regular 15w30 changed at every 5000km.
Now I have a newer "pumpe duce" tdi 2005. Works great but no veggie put in yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've got two 45 gallon drums (canola)waiting to go into this car. Will those cam shaft driven injectors be ok with low percent veggie blend. I'm doing alot of highway driving now. I'd love to hear of anyone with good experiences, thanks.

Location: NS canada | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 04 wagon and it did great on blends. I only had it for a summer cause I wanted a 03 tdi but it was great on blended veggy. I never ran more than 50% but it started cold no problem. Make sure you lower your oil changes to 5K though.

Blending one tank 03 jetta and 06 CRD
liberty

posted Hide Post
Are you blending in the new Liberty also ? My climate is cold in the winter and spring. Usually below freezing in the morning for starting. I'd like to get a good block heater.

Location: NS canada | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yesm i blend in both, the jeep isnt as tolerant as the jetta for me. i can only get away with 50% wvo in the jeep befor i have starting issues, and it smokes at idle pretty bad too.

Blending one tank 03 jetta and 06 CRD
liberty

posted Hide Post
quote:
My climate is cold in the winter and spring. Usually below freezing in the morning for starting. I'd like to get a good block heater.

For anywhere it gets below freezing then a lower rad hose coolant heater and a battery blanket across the injectors for plug in pre-heat will give much cleaner cold starts. I also recommend adding a FPHE for cold climate blends.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 05 TDI Passat and was interested in hearing if and how it is running and what blend your using. I run an 86 Mercedes on WVO with a two tank system which runs great. I'm overflowing with WVO and didn't want to go through the expense of converting the Passat to a two tank system. I've been reading more about the blending which seems fairly easy but I don't need any headaches by rushing out and pumping blended WVO and regreting it later. Is RUG old gas?

Location: E. PA | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Blending is very simple. Filter WVO. Fill car with diesel. When tank gets down to 3/4 top back up with 20 liters of WVO. This will give you about 25% wvo. It will get mixed while driving. I only do when it's above 10C outside. Never has any issues or performance difference. Works perfect with my 2005 PD tdi Jetta.

posted Hide Post
Just to let people know, I'm still blending a year later in the 2005 jetta. Gone through another 300 liters. I try not to put in more than 30% or 1/3 of a tank. Some people post ideas of disasters but no actual experiences of blending disasters. We can all come up with what "could" happen but nothing is more sure than actual experience.
My oil settles for 3- 6 months before running through a filter to the car. Also just using in warm seasons not in the winter.

Let's hear of some more good stories of single tank blending in newer cars/trucks !

posted Hide Post
99jettaA3,

That is good to hear cause I am going to be blending in a 99 beetle in the next week to 10 days. I am planning on running a 50/50 blend.

96 Ram 2500 2WD running 90/10 WVO/RUG, 2 tank system, 10 plate FPHE
99 VW Beetle 5 speed, single tank B100
82 GMC P/U 6.2 running 85/15 WVO/RUG (Sold)

Location: Central Alabama | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been running thinned veggie oil for over six years and have had very few problems. I thin it with 10% kerosine,5% gasoline, 7oz/gal Diesel clean(the gray bottle) 1 oz/10 gal sylol, and 1 oz/10 gal Naptha. The real key to using WVO is the filtering. The better you filter it, the better it will be on your fuel filter (which you may have to change more often), lift pump, and injectors. (I always carry a spare filter.)

I had a chevy diesel in which I did have a problem with both the lift pump and injector pump. Neither problem was caused by the grease. However in my Ford 250 and my Dodge 2500 I have not yet experienced any problems in over 250,000 miles.

My fuel costs are down to less than a dollar a gallon. The only thing I don't like is that it is labor intensive. It takes me 3 hrs to mix 30 or 40 gallons. I am retired and so I have the time and so it's not a bad use for that time for that kind of savings.

I also run 2 homemade hydrogen generators on my Dodge and have chipped it for economy and am getting 30 to 36 mpg.

Location: Lynn Haven, Fl | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello again everyone. I just ran into this forum again and noticed my old post on using wvo as blending. Just to let everyone know my 05 Jetta PD is still going strong. I'm continuing to run the same percentages. This only totals about one 45 gallon drum of wvo a year. So that would be about 15 -20% reduction in fuel costs for the year. Oil processing costs only a $10 filter a year and no conversion cost on the car. These people saying NEVER put that old used oil in your diesel engine bug me - but it's their loss.
Hey, cut your costs, save the environment at least by 20% !