BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Blending/Mixing Fuels  Hop To Forums  General Blending Discussion    How to seperate WVO grease from WMO

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to seperate WVO grease from WMO
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, I pulled a really smart one this spring. I got in a hury and mistakenly dumped 100 gal of WMO into an almost empty IBC tote that had some (maybe 5 gal total) WVO grease in the bottom that was left over from last year. I know that WMO and WVO products don't mix well in blends. I've let it sit for about 2 months now trying to determine a good way to seperate the grease out of the WMO, but I realy haven't come up with anything other than buying a centrifuge, which I'd rather not do at this point in time. Any ideas? Can I gravity feed it through a sock filter, and if so what rating should I use to catch the grease?

For reference, I'm running this in a '93 F250 IDI. My WVO blend is 40 gal WVO, 5gal RUG, 5 gal K1. I haven't developed my WMO blend yet. I just started blending the year before last, and only did WVO for the warm months last summer. I've got another 80 gal of WVO to go and then I'll have to purge my tanks and start working with WMO. I've got a few hundred gallons of WMO that I haven't messed up yet, so I've got plenty to start using. I just don't know what to do with the 100gal that has the grease mixed in with it.

Thanks,
Mark

Location: SW Indiana (Brazil) | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi fields_mj,
I have sometimes mixed WVO/WMO together for use in my waste oil heater and have noticed after a few days the WVO migrates to the top of the WMO.
However because yellow grease contains a high amount of water you may find it stays on the bottom of your tank,in which case could you just simply run/pump your WMO off the top, then discard the bottom layer of the tank.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have them mixed as well. it has been about two weeks and i have not noticed a seperation though. my mix has been blended with gas and diesel to the proper viscocity and has been settled.

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
prob more way more than two weeks actually. the army of defeated beer cans around my processing unit will attest to the fact that ive been "busy" in the garage.

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post