Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

electrolysis
 Login/Join

posted
has anyone thought of or tried applying an electric current to there batch? from my vast experience as a navy sub nuclear electrician i feel like there is a strong possibillity of seperating polar ionic impurities from the non-polar oil.

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to get this out of my mind. remembering from my training on capacitors and how electrical charges stretch the oil between two plates to maintain a charge therefore allowing a temporary flow of current leads me to believe that it applying a current to dirty oil will in fact "squeeze" impurities out of solutions; therefore causing precipitation of said impurities.

I did some searching on youtube and sure enough...some biodieselers are doing it to rapidly settle glycerin out of solution of recently mixed biodiesel within the span of minutes in a small batch.

I thought, could this be applied to rapid settling of dirty oil? I did some more searching under the keywords "oil electrolysis". I found a video in german where it seems olive oil is mixed with salt water and a dye impurity (IE: polar compound). within seconds after applying electrical current clean oil was being generated.

sounds like its time for more mason jar experiments.

I will be testing the following...

AC vs. DC current (which will lead me down the right path and to oscilating the oil molecules or holding a squeeze is better...or the applicability of either method as most of the videos used AC. I would like to use a battery tender which is DC)

High vs. Low voltage

High vs. Low current

now where to purchase variable resistors and comparable AC and DC power supplies.

what im talking about is you fill a tank with dirty crappy oil, hook to leads to terminals you suspended inside, turn on a switch, drink a beer or three, draw off clean oil. NO SETTLING FOR YEARS!

Location: south georgia | Registered: January 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi mszostek

Good luck on your testing.
Please keep us informed of the outcomes

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there are several u-tube video's showing this.

You would have to find out if the procedure also gets rid of unwanted material.

Just be careful with high current, especially if you are drinking beer at the same time.

Dave.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hahaha. will do

im not sure if anyone is interested in this but im pretty sure increasing the volts, current, and cycles would also be an effective and efficient means of pyrolysis of waste sludge to gasify it and recover some usable fuel via bubbling the vapors through water.

I got the idea when I fried the hell out of a capacitor the other day. which are filled with oil dielectric. it produced oil vapors comparable to a smoke bomb.

Im working on upgrading my unit currently but when I do get around to it I will post the result immediately.

posted Hide Post
^^also...being that you would be energizing a GIANT capacitor the power factor of your home grid would be...less or opposite. (cant quite remember if capacitive circuits are leading or lagging but I know its opposite of most loads in the home that power meters use to sense power usage) reason being most loads in a home are inductive coils like clothing washer/dryer motors, microwave transformers, cake mixer, even incandescent light bulb coils. basically, it should make your apparent load (what your meter sees...coils) disappear and make your meter spin slower or possibly...backwards.

although I have heard some modern meters have been corrected to read real load, in which case you would owe the power company some bones for this but as far as I know most homes will be able to steal power this way.

posted Hide Post
test with a 6VDC lantern battery. no apparent separation...at all. to be honest though I didn't put too much into this one. I will not be using DC because as stated above im creating a giant capacitor and I don't want to vaporize myself. like if I take my 20gallon unit and put 110VDC or so across two sticks of metal submerged in flammable liquid...how on earth will I discharge that?

even still 120VAC how do I know what the voltage actually was when I turned the switch of and which direction its going?

I think the answer is indefinitely variable AC via a transformer. (lionel guage model train speed control)You can dial it down before turning it off therefore safely discharging most of the charger controllably through the circuit before turning it off. any remaining charge should be able to be dissipated through a test meter without fear of metal plasma balls.

I don't have a "trainsformer" and ill need to buy one. if anyone does, and wouldn't mind, please perform the test and post your results.

disclaimer, baby steps, don't go full speed ahead without knowing how to safely discharge it. I would hook a voltmeter selected to ac volts in range of the trainsformer in parallel with the electrodes of the oil container. this would offer operator interface thus increasing controllability of safety and would provide a means to discharge and remaining voltage without the possibility of arc flash from connection at power voltage.

posted Hide Post
the word is "electrocoagulation". youtube that. you will find a video titled electrocoagulation 101. this is what im after.

posted Hide Post
Interesting, I remember seeing Graham Laming demonstrate his electrostatic separation of glyc at one of my gatherings a few years back,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...t=PL5B0FAEC0B2FCB4D4
I never thought about whether it would work to clean up wvo, plrase keep us posted of your results

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering a window screen is all you need to filter wvo for biodiesel processing, I dont see any advantage to this endeavor?
Or are your cleaning the oil to burn directly in your engine?
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a guy on here a few years back who did some serious experimenting with GL's setup only on a commercial scale. I had many PM's with him about his setup, if you send him a PM or look for some of his old posting you should get the info you need.
He went by the handle of jdoughy.
In my opinion your wasting your time pursuing this...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have seen the above linked video. its very interesting. this is my thought process.

1.I blend WMO, WVO, Dyno diesel, RUG, and the waste sludge from the last batch gets resettled in a resettling gravity up-flow unit I build hanging off the side of the holding/mixing tank.
2.the overflow of the resettling unit feeds to the bottom of the holding/mixing tank.
3.the drained sludge from the mixing/holding goes back in the down tube to the bottom of the resettling unit.
4. the intent is that all the waste sludge consolidates in the resettling unit over time into a dense sludge much like in a centrifuge. when the down pipe no longer flows, I know it is time to drain the resettling unit and clean out the sludge
5.I have a pond pump that I plan to use for recirculating this system
6. this leaves me with cleaner drier oil before sending it to my purification system

all this stated, there are still ionic impurities more dense than oil left over in suspension like emulsified oils, saturated fats, free carbons, and worst of all water. most of these are taken care of in my purification system. however, I believe your purification system should be the last line of defense, and also, filters and burned out pumps are costly. which, in an endeavor with the intent to reduce cost is counterproductive. a spin or two of the power meter and a clean running engine is much cheaper.

I hypothesize that this method of pre-filtration via electrical current would do that stated above, and also, do it at a much faster rate with much less manual effort.

I believe (with lab testing to prove the results) if it does a good enough job (and theoretically it would) that you may not even need a filtration system because as I understand and have viewed in video it makes all the chemicals separate themselves...and quickly.

posted Hide Post
again, if anyone has available tools, parts, financial fortitude, and time I would very much appreciate parallel research and developement. I just had to fix my vehicle, I am on 12 hour shift work, I have a baby on the way, and a very lengthy to do list so it might be a while before I get to it. I don't want the idea to wait on me.

I wanted in the worst way for this to be my next project in this hobby but my unit is producing quality fuel at an acceptable rate finally (as long as I don't put ethanol polluted RUG in the mix again, which was not a cheap fix), my trucks fuel system needs to be addressed (also not cheap), and I need a better and less scary pump for my unit (also also not cheap). its a Frankensteined washing machine pump. it buzzes angrily, smokes, and goes faster and smoother with the super slow switch on than with the fast switch on. lol. definitely some pole slippage or misaligned winding phases.

if I could right now I would but don't wait on me.

posted Hide Post
my large scale vision is three copper(biocide properties, acceptable electrical conductivity, availability) tubes of equal length, each of different width, placed inside of each other. the middle sized being the cathode and the smallest and largest being the anode. the anode will give up material to the solution and therefore needs more volume and surface area.

they are placed inside of each other and held in place and apart by nonconductive nylon or poly fasteners. the inner and outer anode tubes are jumpered together electrically with a wire or bus bar. wire leads will run from each (anode/cathode) and will be connected to a variable ac or dc source powered from 120vac standard housing circuit.

the electrodes will be suspended inside my resettling unit. a pond pump will recirculate oil from the surface of my mixing/holding tank into the down tube of the resettling unit. the oil will drop particulates and water as it travels up the resettling unit column and through the electrocoagulation electrodes thinner cleaner oil will rise and overflow the resettling unit into the second down pipe to the bottom of the mixing/holding tank. there it will readily coagulate and precipitate any remaining particulates and rise as even thinner and cleaner oil. when it reaches the top of the mixing holding tank it will then be recirculated by the pond pump back into the resettling unit...

and the process continues with subsequent passes until the brown murky oil turns clear like in the youtube videos.

no filtering, no settling, no manual labor besides carelessly dumping/pumping it all in (straight from a fryer) and lifting frosty cold beers to your face.

if it works like I dream it would have cut the cost of my unit fabrication in half...or more.

I know your mouth is watering. we are blenders and therefore smart enough not to work when we don't have to.

posted Hide Post
I settle my oil which is no effort what so ever. I don't do unnecessary work other than for exercise and that's why settling is a very effective oil cleaning procedure. It also obviates the need for making pie in the sky setups with transformers and electrical equipment and the many hours and effort stuffing round with that not to mention the cost to set it up and run it.

I Dump the oil I collect in a drum and forget about it. I have many drums and use them in rotation. When I need more oil I simply do as you say and load the oil in my processor, switch it on and walk away and come back and pump out the clean, dry oil. Every 1000 Gal or so I do have to spend 5 min and 8 Bux changing a filter that is on the setup but that time and cost will probably add up to less over my lifetime than the build and development of what you are proposing. It's also effective and works.

Seems to me you are creating more work for yourself than you will ever save and I would bet my house you are never going to get it to work properly anyway.

This seems more like an excuse to drink beer than a real inclination to clean oil efficiently. If I was a drinker, my system would afford plenty of time for doing that as well.