BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel with Ethanol    New and ease process for Ethanol Biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New and ease process for Ethanol Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

indeed biodiesel with ethanol or better bioethanol following the alkali catalyst route is technically not working. We have developed an acidid route which works nicely even with Ethanol 96%

The improvement is the use of Methane sulfonic acid and reaction at 120°C in an autoclave.

Anyone who is interested in producing Biodiesel from ethanol or even bioethanol may ask for more information

Axel Ingendoh Chemist

Axel Ingendoh
Chemist

posted Hide Post
Axel,
It sounds very interesting. I would appreciate it if you would send details. Do you produce the ffa's from the oil before esterification or is it a one step process?
Sincerly,
Rick G.

posted Hide Post
Coud you send me the details on how to make biodiesel using ethanol and AE.

posted Hide Post
I made biodiesel from new corn oil, 30% by volume of ethanol (199 proof), plus the regular amount of potassium hydroxide. It was almost the same as making it from methanol. But it seems to me that the ethanol must be anhydrous or almost anhydrous.
Using the Fischer esterification. Free fatty acids + anhydrous ethanol + catalytic amount of sulfuric acid + enough heat yields the fatty acid ester or esters (biodiesel). That's acid esterification.
I don't know about this methyl sulfonic acid that was mentioned.
I made isopropyl stearate, ethyl stearate and 1-propyl stearate using the Fischer Esterification method. It works. I used concentrated sulfuric acid as a catalyst.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what was the amount of sulphuric acid used and at what temperature ? And also, using Fischer esterification method, isn't KOH or NaOH used. And lastly, is the oil + anhydrous ethanol + catalytic amount of sulfuric acid added together and then heated or the oil is first heated and then the remaining are added and then heated ?
I' a newbie in making biodiesel using ethanol.

posted Hide Post
Can you get commercial anhydrous ethanol? That's about 99.5% ethanol and 0.5% water. The temperature I used was about 74 degrees centigrade. I made small amounts, less than 1 litre. I suggest you read about the Fischer Esterification.

posted Hide Post
For the Fischer Esterification making isopropyl stearate I used about 3.5% of the volume of alcohol I used in concentrated sulfuric acid. The Fischer Esterification does not work on triglyceride fatty acid esters, but it does work on free fatty acids. The Fischer esterification might work on triglyceride fatty acid esters at higher temperatures and pressures, I'm not sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WesleyB,

posted Hide Post
I should mention that when concentrated sulfuric acid is added to alcohol, it is exothermic and it reacts somewhat violently. It spatters a little. So if you mix the two, wear safety glasses and expect that it may spatter some. Oh yes, add the acid to the alcohol, not the alcohol to the acid, at least that is how I did it. Try not to get the acid on your skin, or anyone in the area.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Wesley... I tried making biodiesel with ethanol using AE process, but was unsuccessful in making it. I guess it was easier to get biodiesel by mixing the ethoxide with the heated oil. I was thinking of another way. Is it possible to make biodiesel with ethanol the same way as in making biodiesel using methanol? What I meant is heating the oil to 70-75 degree celcious and then transferring it to a 2L PET Bottle and then adding the ethoxide mix to the bottle and capping the bottle tightly and then shaking the bottle vigorously for 5-10 mins and then allowing the oil mix to settle.

posted Hide Post
The last time I made biodiesel using methanol and potassium hydroxide I heated it for 1 hour with magnetic stirring, in laboratory glassware. A problem with making biodiesel in a plastic bottle is keeping it hot without melting the plastic bottle. Using acid esterification to make fatty acid esters from free fatty acids takes longer than an hour, I think. Both acid esterification and base transesterification need ethanol with very little water in it. I used 99.5% anhydrous ethanol to make ethyl biodiesel from new corn oil and potassium hydroxide using the base transesterification method.

posted Hide Post
To make ethyl biodiesel, mix 1 litre new vegetable oil + 300 millilitres 99.5% anhydrous ethanol with about 6.5-7 grams potassium hydroxide dissolved in the alcohol at 74 degrees celcius for at least 1 hour. The temperature should be maintained at 74 degrees the entire time. Adequate mixing should proceed the entire time. The reaction vessel may be sealed to avoid water entering from the air. If your potassium hydroxide is less than 100% pure, then the amount of 6.5 grams should be increased proportionately to the amount of impurities. The starting vegetable oil should have no water in it. If this simple proceedure is followed then, two layers should form. The top layer is where the ethyl biodiesel is. Remove the lower layer, that is the glycerine layer. Then remove excess unreacted ethyl alcohol from the biodiesel layer and further purify if you so desire. I guess you wanted someone to tell you a proceedure/formula to make ethyl biodiesel. You can send me a gold Panda if you so desire, as compensation for this formula. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Sure yeah Wesley....I'll see if I can get a panda for you. Well stirring and maintaining the temperature in a closed vessel is impossible to me since I have a hot plate and magnetic stirrer separately. That's the reason why I asked if it was possible to transfer the heated oil to an HDPE container and then mixing the ethoxide into it and then shaking the mixture vigorously.

posted Hide Post
I think I saw someone making biodiesel in a beaker that had plastic wrap covering it, with a rubber band to seal it against the atmosphere. The person was doing magnetic stirring in the beaker. The biggest thing about making the ethyl biodiesel is getting the anhydrous ethyl alcohol to use in making the ethoxide. You might try to get a 2 litre glass beaker. My magnetic stirrer is in my hot plate. In a chemistry class I was in, the professor said something like, for every 10 degrees centigrade warmer a reaction mixture is, it will react twice as fast, in general. Most of the time to heat my reaction flasks, I put a frying pan on my magnetic stirring hot plate, then I pour vegetable oil into the frying pan. That's the hot oil bath I use to heat my glass ware. I never used a HDPE container to make biodiesel in, I use glass. On the Australian biodiesel site they have the Dr. Pepper method, making biodiesel in a plastic bottle. I suppose it works, but I don't know how complete a reaction it gets.