BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel with Ethanol    Has anyone heard of this process?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone heard of this process?
 Login/Join

posted
OK...I am learning here, so if my terminology is not correct, please forgive me! :-)

I have heard of and trying to find additional information of the process that uses soybean oil, ethanol and phosphoric acid which makes this an additive to diesel fuel. I read this about this, and thought that I had placed the article in my "favorites" but, evidentally, I did not. So, if anyone has any information or even could direct to in the right direction to obtain this information, I would TRULY be appreciative!

The article spoke of using phosphoric acid as the catalyst, there was no soap and it used pressurization and heat (heat coming fromt he pressurization) to evaporate any water. If I remember correctly, this is a VERY new process and it started in Finland, I think. If anyone has or know where I can find this information, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching for 2 weeks now with no luck.

Thanks again everyone!

posted Hide Post
I am posting to see answer ?

Location: St.Paul | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can acid esterify to make ethyl esters. This is a very slow reaction ~48hrs vs. ~1hr with alot more excess alcohol. If one were to significantly heat the process to increase the reaction rate, this could work BUT this would have to be significant heat/pressure to get the reaction going.

Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A typical Fisher reaction old like a world btw
Water slowing reaction dramatically so water elimination is a problem.
Also btw water is producing by the reaction so to eliminate excess water you have to use a lot of sulphuric acid or any othert technique e.g molecular sieves, i mean adsorbents
good luck with that but i personally think it is waste of time . forget it.
Cool