Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
making biodiesel using Jatropha oil and ethanol

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9601000031/m/7087006643

November 18, 2011, 12:34 AM
YME bioenergy
making biodiesel using Jatropha oil and ethanol
i want to produce biodiesel using jatropha oil and ethanol.currently i am extructing jatropha oil.what are the detail steps to produce it?
November 18, 2011, 01:53 AM
WesleyB
I made biodiesel using ethanol, palm kernel flakes and potassium hydroxide 85%. I made it twice. The first time I used 95% ethanol, 5% water. The second time I used 99.5% ethanol, 0.5% water. I had better results using the 99.5% ethanol to produce biodiesel. A problem is drying 95% ethanol+ 5% water and doing it inexpensively. There was a little water produced in the 99.5% ethanol when the catalyst was added, but I'm not sure how much. If your oil is dry, for one liter of oil use 250 milliliters of ethanol with 5.8 grams 85% potassium hydroxide mixed into the alcohol plus titration number. Heat with constant stirring at 70 to 75 degrees centigrade for one hour. Do not heat with a flame. If possible use a sparkless hot plate. I think starting by making small amounts then working your way up to large quantities is the best way to learn to make the fuel correctly. After heating the ethanol, potassium hydroxide, dry jatropha oil for one hour, let the glycerine settle out long enough, remove the lower glycerin layer, then distill/evaporate off excess ethanol. A second lower layer/phase should form, which you remove. After this I dry wash the ethyl biodiesel with magnesium silicate at 75 degrees celcius, then vacuum filter with a one micron filter paper. But there are many ways to dry wash the crude ethyl biodiesel product. If things go well you've got fairly pure ethyl biodiesel fuel. The stirring must cause the ethanol and oil to mix during the reaction. Without stirring the ethanol just floats on top of the oil and doesn't react much. Dried ethanol absorbs water from the air. I used a sealed flask to make my biodiesel in, but do not over heat, please.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WesleyB,
November 22, 2011, 01:12 PM
WesleyB
The book Practical Organic Chemistry, written by Vogel gives a laboratory procedure to make anhydrous ethanol from 95% ethanol. On this forum someone wrote that they had used zeolite to dry 95% ethanol. Then solar power was used to dry the zeolite so it could be reused to dry more ethanol. I think in the base catalysed transesterification reaction the mixture should be as dry as possible to achieve the best results. Ethanol can be used to make biodiesel, I did it.
November 26, 2011, 06:42 AM
Todd T
Zeolyte is a desiccant and will remove the water. Two other natural routes are 20 grit corn and tapioca beads. Both take out the water and can be regenerated with some sunshine.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

December 05, 2011, 06:11 PM
A. Milbarge
WesleyB,

So, just heat the oil, then add the ethoxide?? Do you heat the oil all the way up to around 75 celsius then dump the oil in? Or gradually heat the oil as you add the ethoxide until it all reaches 75 celsius?

It sounds like KOH is the only catalyst that will work with this?

Thanks
December 06, 2011, 01:21 PM
WesleyB
I added the ethoxide/ethanol solution when the oil was room temperature, then heated it up. I was only using about 300 milliliters of vegetable oil. I would expect temperature in the range of 70 degrees celcius would be good enough. I only made a small amount. It seemed to me that making the ethyl biodiesel worked much better using commercial anhydrous ethyl alcohol that's 99.5% dry ethanol with a half of one per cent water in it, worked. The less water the better in this base catalysed transesterification reaction.