BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel with Ethanol    Ethyl Biodiesel from new corn oil

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethyl Biodiesel from new corn oil
 Login/Join

posted
Put 500 ml new corn oil into a 1 liter round bottom boiling flask with 6 grams KOH in 150 ml 99.5% ethanol, with magnetic stirring. Reacted 5 1/2 hours at 68 to 77 degrees centigrade. Drained off the lower glycerin phase (layer) which was 160 ml. The upper phase was 490 ml. Set up simple vacuum distillation over the crude ethyl biodiesel. Using a 300 millimeter (above zero pressure) vacuum distilled off 24 milliliters of excess alcohol. Dry washed three times with 20 grams of magnesium silicate at about 76 to 80 degrees centigrade and filtering through a one micron filter paper to get a product that tests less than 35 parts per million of soap content. The corn oil titrated at 1.4 for NaOH (free fatty acid content). It is nice to make a pure product. It is expensive initially but it is a start. I know I used a little too much KOH, but I was in a hurry at the time. Better too much than not enough caustic. Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post