BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel with Ethanol    Using ultrasonic to speed up process/yield?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using ultrasonic to speed up process/yield?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone tried using ultrasonic sound to make ethyl biodiesel?
According to http://www.hielscher.com/ultrasonics/biodiesel_transesterification_01.htm it speeds up the whole process.
Will it increase yield?
Will it make it easier, considering that the separation process is sometimes tricky?

Location: Odense, Denmark | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been discussed a few times. I am quite interested, but have been a bit concerned about the power consumption and capital cost.

click here to view threads where it has been discussed before:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWord...Type=1&search=Search

Location: Perth | Registered: April 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, there is no point in using ultra sound unless you are a commercial producer with a largew through-put. It is best suited to continuous production, rather than the batch production we use.

posted Hide Post
I've used an ultrasonicator to make methyl esters before. It worked really well... infact too well. We had a slight bit of water in our NaOH apparently and it made biodiesel fine really quickly then we let it go for a while and then basically it formed this big layer of soap that decided to spill out of our container everywhere and made a big mess. For the most part, unless you're super rich these things are too expensive.

Hielscher does have a good plan now though, you can essentially lease to own it. You pay 1000 bucks a month for 10 months and then you own the thing. The 1000 watt one anyways.

Drive diesels and make bio.

Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I'm Aires working in Hangzhou Success ultrasonic equipment Co., Ltd.

The ultrasonic used in biodiesel production plant can save more cost.

We have sold it to many customers. Moreover, they informed us there are many advangtages after use the ultrasonic.
1.less chemical
2.less methanol
3.lower processing temps(last batch about 30 Degrees celcuis)
4.less mixing time (50% less mixing time)

If you have any questions, pls don't hesitate to contact us.

Location: CHINA | Registered: July 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yaric:
I've used an ultrasonicator to make methyl esters before. It worked really well... infact too well. We had a slight bit of water in our NaOH apparently and it made biodiesel fine really quickly then we let it go for a while and then basically it formed this big layer of soap that decided to spill out of our container, cargo liners, everywhere and made a big mess. For the most part, unless you're super rich these things are too expensive.

Hielscher does have a good plan now though, you can essentially lease to own it. You pay 1000 bucks a month for 10 months and then you own the thing. The 1000 watt one anyways.

Even I got the money right now, I don't think I would splurge my bucks for that. I never heard using ultrasonic before.

Location: Alabama | Registered: December 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
$10,000 for a kW ultrasonic mixer?
Wow, that's quite some money for making a smoothie! Big Grin

I have no doubt that it's marvellous stuff and out of reach for just about everybody.
I also have no idea why they are so expensive, but that's because I don't really know how they work.
I can put a 1 kW amplifier that produces 20 kHz for a lot less than that.
But something tells me I'm missing something.

Most people look at things like this, because they don't want to be cooped up in the garage every other weekend making Biodiesel.
I don't blame them.
Most folks that know their process (and oil) very well can achieve amazing amounts of automation with very simple materials like PID's, thermostats and timers.
If you build in all kinds of (fairly simple) safety measures everybody should have anyway, you can go a long way.

But as soon as I win the lottery, I go ultrasonic.
Come to think about it, I always wanted to drive a Porsche as well!

Location: Ireland | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
but what frequency are they using...
I seem to remember reading about 3,000 Khz or put another way 3MHZ..it'll cost a bunch more to get/make a 1KW amp for that frequency. what about the transducer?

just some idle thoughts

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya. Here T our shop we have been looki g at the german we site in regards to the ultrasonic. Quite interesting. They are also creating a head pressure of 15-45 psi before their mixing chamber. Anyone know why? We just set up a gl 1 day.

Along the ultrasonic goes, we were considering having a daulphine in the shop next to the processor!

2000 F-250 7.3 with 160,000 on WVO, probably 10,000 of that in Biodiesel, total milage of 333.333 + !!

Location: Kenya, New Orleans, Massachusetts | Registered: July 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using 3 x 1kW ultrasonicators Ultrasonic biodiesel processing and they really speed up the whole conversion process plus it drastically cuts back the methanol use. Either if you produce commercially or for self-suppy, I can highl recommend an ultrasonic inline system.
I bought mine at Hielscher and they support you with a lot of knowledge.

posted Hide Post
Joe the gorilla in the room is how much did it cost and from your experience and use how much were you able to reduce your methoxide? Thanks

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post