BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel with Ethanol    ethanol from glycerine

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ethanol from glycerine
 Login/Join

posted
I'm working on a 35 gallon distiller and came across this last week. Two Rice University professors were using an E.coli variant to break down waste biodiesel glycerol into ethanol and formic acid. Simplified, water, glycerol and bacteria are mixed and allowed to digest/ferment, distill ethanol, dispose of formic acid. I have found three texts all sourcing the same document.
Has anyone tried this or have any insight as to volume ratios, temperatures, variants, etc. It seems like a better use of glycerine for me.

posted Hide Post
no, but if find out more please share.
like where to get the e.coli they used..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting on PID components and more ss hardware to arrive. My distiller with column is over 8 ft tall. Really compliments the biopro, great for high purity methanol recovery.

Early small sample testing at room temperature, air tight after inoculation period.
1 control open to air = lactic acid production, rancid smell (air borne spores much like cheese formation), muck is a good description.
2 test sample A, e.coli flora from chicken poop,approx 1% by weight = clear breakdown and separation, pH dropped over time(some acid produced, type? ) need either GC or large enough sample to distill, will centrifuge and test layers for flamability and flame color, definitely have a lot of water present, will dry with Zeo 3A first. Really need a lab and chemists to do this, I'm realizing chicken poop has a lot of nitrates plus glycerol (glycerin family)with acid present, this could be bad. I think I will keep my results quiet for a while. Don't want to be responsible for other people competing with NASA from home.

General e.coli flora from chicken poop, although not a pure cultivatible strain, does breakdown glycerol, but into what?

posted Hide Post

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Report on the Rice University glycerol to ethanol project here.

quote:
Gonzalez became interested in glycerol while he was an assistant professor at Iowa State University in Ames.

Darn that Van Gerpen (ISU), he's got his nose stuck everywhere :-)

THis another article about it

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post