BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Passed PHLIP and Methanol Test FIALED in the Lab for gly. (pictues)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passed PHLIP and Methanol Test FIALED in the Lab for gly. (pictues)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ok so i have done a total of 4 tests using the PHLIP test and total gly content in a lab; all four passed the PLHIP test and 3/27 (actually 30/270) Total glycerin results were .310 .165 .165 .155. After setting for several weeks the .31 sample looks the best on the PHLIP test (least dropout) the .31 also looks the worst on the 3/27 after setting for weeks. But I think the 3/27 test is irrelevant after an hour anyways because it seems like the more hydrogenated oil the more dropout after 24 hours. There is never any oil drops, just white floating stuff. After all this i am wondering if the lab just made a mistake on the first sample especially since the last three samples were so close on total glycerin while the first one was double...my process didn't change either. Basically i have concluded that the lab screwed up or the PHLIP test does not work very well. For now I trust the 3/27 as much or more than PHLIP anyways so i just use it and save the 5 bucks per batch. Every sample that passes 3/27 also passes PHLIP as long as it is washed and fresh.

posted Hide Post
pHlip is good for acidity and soaps, and it can give you a general sense perhaps if your fuel is wildly bad on conversion, but it has NOTHING to do with total glycerin.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, i have redone the methanol test at 66 degrees and for bio and methanol, it passed IMO. After 20-30 minutes there is some very fine "dust" on the bottom When i heat the sample it goes away,

That is a fail. Any fallout is failure on this test.

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PHLIP test might not show total glycerin, but it does detect monoglycerides and diglycerides, at least that’s what they claim. If so it should give you an idea of the total glycerin.

Actually it is not a fail, because I have had 4 tests done that all showed total glycerin around .15-.16. The 3/27 test will be good after a few minutes, but after time-usually the next day there is always some "snow" at the bottom. Even on my full astmd6751-08 test that passed cold soak test had some fallout the next day. It is not oil drops, they will not mix together to form one large drop. It only happens on some oils (probably hydrogenated), i have some samples of 50/50 bio/methanol and they have stay mixed with no snow for weeks. Coconut oil is the worst it creates snow that covers the bottom 10% of the sample, but still passes for total glycerin.