BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Enough washing?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enough washing?
 Login/Join

posted
I have washed a 40 gal batch about 8X, ~35 gal of water total. It is definitely not "clear-clear" but a light-medium white. The BD is still mixed with water, that yellow suspension. It is 45F in the garage. When the water ends at the boundary layer, there is this quick shot of "solid white," about 12-inches in a 1.5-inch hose.

This is exactly the stage where I did my centrifuging of my first batch, 20 gals. It passed the 3/27 and I am 33% in my older MB 300SD. Like that batch, I took this suspension, about 100cc, boiled off water, did a 3/27 and it passed.

QUESIIONS:
Is this enough washing?
Is that shot a last bit of soap?
Should I pH test, "shake-em" test, titrate for soap?
... or ...
Do I centrifuge and I am done?

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC

83 MB 300SD (2 tank) - Greasel
98 Dodge 2500 (2 tank) - Golden Fuels
82 Rabbit Truck (2 tank) - my design) - SOLD
Diesel Craft CF process in enclosed shed
BD first batch 9/23/12, still going ..
6-4x10 solar hot water panels and 500 gallon wood-burning water stove
2.8 kW PV grid-tie w/batt b/u commissioned March 2011

Location: High Point, NC | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We typically see our wash process use about 1.5 gallons of water for each gallon of fuel. It sounds as though you still have unacceptably high levels of soap and - perhaps - a high acid number. Your wash water should be clear when done.

We have just recently begun PH testing our wash water. Using a +/- $100 meter with an accuracy level to 0.01, we record the difference between incoming wash water (from the tap) and wash water that is draining from the fuel. As you continue your wash cycle, the PH gap decreases. We wash until the gap is virtually nil.

Location: North Carolina | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have managed to get my water down to 60-80L water to 165L bio I think that would equate to 0.5gal to each gal bio.You should really be doing soap tests as this would be more accurate for your purpose.
That shot of solid white is the last of the soap bio emulsion mix bio i dump it into a tub of demethed glyc and bio floats to the top after a few hrs /days especially if the temps get hot at day and cold at night.Dont forget the mono & di that are always with the soap bio water mix they can really throw you off when you get zero soap on a titration yet have murky bio that wont clear and clear or cloudy water from the 50/50 thats when 80-100L of hot water to 1605L bio normally clears it for me good luck

Location: south australia | Registered: November 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post