BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    gummy substance
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gummy substance
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilfish:
In regards to the other two posts referring to Brooks a persons idiosyncrasies and other weird slants in their personal life should not deter anyone from viewing their work for anyone to make an objective and discerning assessment of it. To restrict oneself to 1 or 2 experts is not prudent either. Every man is a volume you just need to know how to read them. Good luck with your endeavors Hands. andy

His information is rubbish and has been proven to be time and time again.
Have a look at what he went on with on the local Biofuels forum just to name one. Again he let his obsession with always being right and the belief that anyone that disagreed with him was a sock puppet for admins and moderators with an agenda to stifle meaningful dialogue on fuel blending.
If that one bleating he has repeated countless times doesn't give you a heads up the guy is a complete wack job, I don't know what will.
His other proclivities just give an indication as to the credibility and state of mind of the guy.

I agree it's wise not to limit oneself to information and the sources thereof but I think it's a lot wiser still not to follow complete and utter Idiots that parrot nothing but incorrect, dangerous and proven flawed Poppycock.

I'll choose to follow information I can prove to be right, not always wrong and what more than one person has found to work as against following the only person that says something works when the findings of everyone elese in the world are completely opposite.

If You think Jeffrey's information is helpful, You would enjoy the site he set up a few years back.
99% of the postings are his so you can read his information virtually unhindered.

posted Hide Post
After I removed the gummy substance from my f350 tank I dropped my f250 tank. Gum was also found in this tank. I have blended in this tank also. The 250 has a plastic tank and the 350 has a metal tank. The gummy substance was found floating in the pero diesel that was left in the tank. It seemed to be more of the gummy substance in the tank strainers. I have cleaned both tanks and plan to run b100 in the 250 and b0 in the 350 and see if I can keep the gum from forming.

I am glad to find out someone else has had the same issues. I was considering selling my processor and ending my biodiesel endeavors. It was depressing to find such a mess in these tanks after spending so much time getting my bio clean dry and properly reacted. Thanks for all the replies.

Daniel

Location: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: June 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am glad to find out someone else has had the same issues. I was considering selling my processor and ending my biodiesel endeavors. It was depressing to find such a mess in these tanks after spending so much time getting my bio clean dry and properly reacted. Thanks for all the replies.

Daniel

Glad to hear your not giving it up.
This process at some point has probably depressed most of us.
All you gotta do is put the oil in here and ASTM fuel comes out there!!!
hehe
How much fuel do you blend ??
Wondering if I should drop my tank too !!
I run B100 in my DMax 99% of the time only to add Dino when temp drops below 25F
or away from my own pump. I just bought an 82 300CD with 200K on it and wondering what
B100 will flush out of it's fuel system here in the next few weeks.

regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will run b50 when there is a cold snap in the winter and b100 unless I am using more than I have time to make. I usuall make about 25 gallons/week.

Daniel

Location: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: June 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been running various blends of BD, VO, ULSD, jetA, jetB, and petrol since 2005 and I've never found the 'gummy substance' or anything like it in the vehicle tank when it's drained in the Fall. None of my fuel has ever shown signs of polymerization or oxidation. Not to say that it doesn't happen, just that it's not a universal problem that will occur when biofuel and diesel is mixed.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apologizes in advance for the length, but please hear me out.

I feel it's simply bioD oxidation related and probably not fuel blending issues. Nature of the beast, if you typically run high bio blends for long periods of time, it's gonna show up somewhere fuel collects and just dries out exposed to air. Same as SVO does faster. Just takes a week or two to get it rolling. Metal seems to draw it out worse than plastic, so something electron related if I'm gonna guess?? Blending helps slow it, I prefer using a K1 from time to time, seems to curb the growth vs D1. Also have never had any customers report this who use B30 or less?? Found that interesting.

Personally I been wrangling with this for a couple years now on several different vehicles. First noted it building up in the top portion of our metal water wash tanks but nothing sticking in our plastic drying or storage tanks. It's the same looking substance I find in the fuel neck on my F250 truck. Have also witnessed it at the extreme level when I tore our Dmax boat engine apart for a rebuild and left everything open to the air for over a year.. No doubt on that one, oxidation, biodegradability, fall out, fuel deterioration, whatever ya wanta call it, almost cost me a bundle. Still finding brown gummy's in the filters and lift pump, long after 5 tanks of fresh, less than 50/50 blended fuel burned. It has an aluminum tank that I can't remove to clean.

We recently had a full ASTM work up on our fuel and found the oxidation stability was out of spec at about 1hr, everything else passed fine. Now we use a commercial additive and it seems to of helped out a bunch, we're seeing less of a build up than before. Still accumulating in our wash tanks which is where it remains untreated fuel. Have recently been running a "much larger producers" B100 for the last couple months, guess what, noticed it starting again in the F250 fuel neck tonight when fueling up. His fuel has no additive and normally tests out at 4+ hrs OX stab, well within ASTM.

After observing this substance and it's ability to seize the pump, injectors, regulators and such, I tend to keep our common rails on a 50/50 diet due to the tight fuel system tolerances. For our older Powerstrokes and other low fuel pressure vehicles, I've yet to experience any real fuel system impact. Am gonna drop and inspect the plastic tank on my 04 Ford within the month just out of curiosity. I just replaces my first 3 injectors at 152k on the speedo, last 100k of those mostly B100 miles. Which is actually a pretty good lifespan when talking 6.0L Ford injector miles.

So, here is my best observation and suggestion. If you wish to verify my findings, take a small metal dish or pan, pour some fresh B100 in the bottom [just enough to cover it], set it on a shelf for a few weeks. Do the same with a glass jar, and forget the lid. After a couple weeks, lightly slosh both around and report back to us. Check it again after a month, bet we all find the same conclusions. I've actually been picture logging some of this "gummy substance" on different materials for a little while now, also chatting offline with others about this. Finding it's not that uncommon among heavy B100 users, just kinda unreported...

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi there,
just throwing my penny here.
Gummy substance might be bacteria colonies on your filter.
I'm working in lab and first test we do with biodiesel is microbiological test.

Try place your old filter gummy residue on sterile piece of paper in warm place in glass bottle.
See if it is growing, must be bacteria colonies.