BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    procedure for soap test

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

procedure for soap test
 Login/Join

posted
hey all,

kinda in a hurry here. pls forgive my sloth for not searching fully.

can i get a concise procedure for doing the soap test, including making the .01N HCL? if i recall i am to use 12 mls of settled demethed fuel, which is the weifght of 10g. need the rest of the prcedure though please, and how to make stock stuff.

thanks
doug

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do a google search for the words Utah Biodiesel Soap Test, then click Testing Biodiesel For Soap Content, you should find instructions to do the soap test. I buy already standardized HCl solution 0.01 Normal, from Utah Biodiesel. I do my titrations by weighing on a quadruple beam scale that I bought for $25 at a flea market/trade day sale. Trying to measure out by volume isn't as accurate as weighing the materials.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is this the group consensus? or are others still using 12ml? and can i ge tthe procedure still for doing it at home instead of buying the kit?

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't buy the kit. There are lots of chemical suppliers and equipment suppliers. I bought my bromophenol blue from Hach Water Testing Supplies in Loveland Colorado. I used 95% isopropyl alcohol from a drug store. I use pasteur pipets from Chase scientific supply. The alcohol from the drug store is probably cheaper than buying 99% pure isopropyl alcohol. I use a magnetic stirring plate that I found laying by the side of the road, had to repair it though.

posted Hide Post
procedure please?

posted Hide Post
It would be best to read the proceedure yourself by doing a google search for the terms Biodiesel Soap Test, then click on Soap Titration for Unwashed Biodiesel/Quality Testing. But since you asked my synopsis of the proceedure is; weigh 250 ml beaker, add 100 ml 95% isopropyl alcohol (available at drug stores), add 1 ml phenolpthalein indicator solution, add 10 grams biodiesel to be tested, if the solution does not turn pink, weigh the beaker and its contents, add 1 ml bromophenol blue indicator solution, weigh the beaker and its contents. During the testing stirring is needed. Slowly add 0.01 Normal Hydrochloric acid aqueous solution with stirring until the solution turns yellow and stays yellow for 15-30 seconds. Weigh the beaker and its contents, to get mass of 0.01 Normal (molar) HCl used ,multiply the net weight in grams of HCl aqueous solution used by 304 if NaOH catalyst was used or by 320 if KOH catalyst was used to get parts per million of soap in the biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
Is 91% isopropyl alcohol acceptable? Thats about all I can find locally and 99% in an online store ends up costing like $20 a bottle

Location: Central IL | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say 91% isopropyl alcohol will work for the soap test.

posted Hide Post
I did tests with 91% and with 99% iso & found the results to be very, very close.

Without doing a heavy regression analysis on the data, I'd dare say the difference is within the margin of error for the test.

So if you can't find 99%, yep, 91% should work.

Just a note. I've found that when soap testing, you really need a mag stirrer. I've tried it with & without one and the results were much more accurate with the mag stirrer (and a heck of a lot easier to do the test too).

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a pain to do it by hand. I've looked for some online but can't seem to find anything under $50.

Location: Central IL | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make your own magnetic stirrer, even dummies like me can do it. Cost me nothing. Most everyone I know has an old computer fan, or knows someone that will gladly give you one. Check this out. http://www.shroomery.org/forum....php//Number/5585251
Have fun. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post