Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Reddish bio when dispensing

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411061471/m/8617011973

July 30, 2014, 12:15 AM
Yuka
Reddish bio when dispensing
When i hit the fuel gun, the first 5 seconds it goes out a little reddish but clear color.

Why could this be happening?

Im always bellow 60ppm KOH, and when dispensing it goes thru a 2 micron biotek and finally a Biodiesel special made golden rod filter, then to storage.
Thats when i saw that the first 3 seconds fuel is more reddish. Later is clear yellow so no problem at all.

I took samples of the reddish fuel and took it to the lab and centrifuge but nothing fell out.
From the last sample of the most redish Bio, the soap test indicated 80ppm KOH. Not ASTM but not bad at all.
So i dont think is a soap problem.

What could it be?

The fuel hose?
The gun?

I attached a picture.

I posted a video.
Link;

http://youtu.be/MbllGJEA1A0

July 30, 2014, 02:44 AM
john galt
The fuel could be leaching something out of the hose that colors it.

Drain the fuel completely out of the hose between use and see if the color persists.

July 30, 2014, 04:54 AM
Dgs
Hi Yuka,
I have heared it said in the past that the reddish tint could be the sign of an incomplete reaction.Try doing a dropout test on the bio with the colour and let us know the result.
July 30, 2014, 07:34 AM
Jon Heron
I vote for stuff leaching out of the hose and or nozzle.
Cheers,
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
July 30, 2014, 08:53 AM
Yuka
John and JON;
Im going with that theory too. But there's never particles in the fuel, i imagine if the hose is wearing down i would find black little pieces of the hose material.

I bought a regular diesel hose and fuel nozzle.
Its impossible finding ítems for Biodiesel in town, even in my country.

What to do? I always reprocess the reddish stuff.
Should i keep it like this until i buying a new fuel hose.

DPS i let a sample sit for a month and no dropouts. 3/27 passes always because i do two stage even with low titration oils.

Thanks.
Eduardo
August 04, 2014, 07:28 AM
Daniel Trifonov
Yuka, is there any chance of rust in your fuel?
If it is not rust, I bet this is something from the hose.

I had reddish fuel made from palm fat, but it is the whole batch not only at the beginning. It is always reddish with no mater than 3/27 result.

° can be diplayed, by using Alt+248(NumPad)
August 04, 2014, 09:05 AM
Jon Heron
FWIW, I see a reddish tinge in my fuel after sitting in my PVC braided hose for a week or more, I just burn it anyway, so far no problem in 5 years.
The hose slowly weeps biodiesel out of it across its entire length and has gotten a bit stiff over the last 5 years but it has held up much better than the original rubber fuel hose that was on it as it just turned to black goo in no time...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_443438..._dollar|1&facetInfo=

Cheers,
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
August 04, 2014, 01:13 PM
Yuka
JON i burn it in my truck also, sometimes i use it to reprocess with WVO, this keeps the oil viscosity lower and makes it faster for the temperature to rise when reacting.
By the way thanks for the tip on the hose. Cheaper and more durable.

Daniel, thanks for your answer; no rust at all, i usually deliver 200 liter drums, and i only get 1 liter of reddish cristal clear bio, the other 199 liters are clear gold color!

Eduardo G