BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Thinning out bio for the winter.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinning out bio for the winter.
 Login/Join

posted
Will E-85 work as a winter thinner for bio? I know kero is best but i had to drain the the tanks of two mis-fuled vehicles at work. One was a gasser and the other a diesel. So i have about 20 gallons of mostly ethanol, partly gas and a little diesel all mixed together. The best part is i can get it for FREE.

I was think about a 15 to 20% mix as the winters are not that cold here in S.C.

thanks

Location: Greer S.C. | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would imagine it would blend fairly well, what kind of truck do you drive? Newer models can be trempermental.

I would throw that blend in my truck, but its an old cummins and will burn about anything except water. Big Grin

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would throw that blend in my truck, but its an old cummins and will burn about anything except water. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

I hear you.

yes i also have a every thing bunner. it's an International T444E traped in a 99 F-250, i think ford renamed it the 7.3 power stroke.

Location: Greer S.C. | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinning bio with E85 in the winter sounds like a recipe for disaster, people use things like kerosene and pump diesel to help lower the cloud and gel points of bio, kerosene and pump diesel still have the lubrication qualities a diesel needs to lubricate pumps and injectors, I may be FOS But I think it's a bad idea.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's a bad idea.

I concur... IMHO alcohols of all kinds should never be used in diesel engines.
Use seasonal pump diesel, or kerosene, or stove oil, or jetA, and gasoline sparingly up to 5%.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, i guess a few gallons isnt worth the risk. i will heed the advise. so......what elese can i do with 20 gallons of mixed up, wanna-be fuel........lawnmower?

posted Hide Post
Remove the alcohol by evaporation or distillation. The non-volatile component can mix with diesel fuel, BD, or VO.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot, were not talking about a 2009 Dodge Cummins with six computers and electronic injection here,

Ive burned far worse in my old Dodge and still have the original motor and injector pump at 700K. If blended low enough Im sure his old diesel would be fine, these old gals are a lot tougher than you would think (assuming the old powerstroke is built like the cummins Big Grin)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Team504:
thanks guys, i guess a few gallons isnt worth the risk. i will heed the advise. so......what elese can i do with 20 gallons of mixed up, wanna-be fuel........lawnmower?

If you have just a few gallons mix it in with pump diesel two or three gallons at a time.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyebiodiesel:
Shoot, were not talking about a 2009 Dodge Cummins with six computers and electronic injection here,

Ive burned far worse in my old Dodge and still have the original motor and injector pump at 700K. If blended low enough Im sure his old diesel would be fine, these old gals are a lot tougher than you would think (assuming the old powerstroke is built like the cummins Big Grin)

You've burned mostly ethanol, some gas and a little diesel all at one time in the same tank in your cummins?

posted Hide Post
If blended, you bet. We aren't talking about throwing it in straight here.

posted Hide Post
In other words, Team is asking if it can be used as an additive for a winter blend not to be used directly as a fuel.

I don't think anyone here would disagree that it would improve gel points, although it may be a good bit tougher for the engine to burn up in cold weather due to their lower propensity to pre-ignite.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
If you have just a few gallons mix it in with pump diesel two or three gallons at a time.

I missed this post of yours Fab, basically I concur Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Many pump diesel fuel additives/conditioners are primarily methyl alcohol (methanol) based. A little ain't going to hurt but I wouldn't be one to encourage heavy use, and the mount that would be required to "thin out for winter use" would be prohibitive, IMO.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Many pump diesel fuel additives/conditioners are primarily methyl alcohol (methanol) based. A little ain't going to hurt but I wouldn't be one to encourage heavy use, and the mount that would be required to "thin out for winter use" would be prohibitive, IMO.

yes, i was thinking the same when i ask the orignal question. it does make sense that a lot will do some damage of some type. i brought home a 6 gallon bucket today and will mix it sparingly. just a quart or so per 15gal of bio. i just hate to see energy go to waste.

thanks for helping me out

posted Hide Post
quote:
just a quart or so per 15gal of bio

I wouldn't go that high myself, but then it's not my pump/engine :-) That's a litre to 60 ratio; WAY too much. Even in pump diesel it is recommended to only use a cup to 1,000 Lt's of conditioner and that is for class 8 trucks that run through fuel like ducks go through water.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
quote:
just a quart or so per 15gal of bio

I wouldn't go that high myself, but then it's not my pump/engine :-) That's a litre to 60 ratio; WAY too much. Even in pump diesel it is recommended to only use a cup to 1,000 Lt's of conditioner and that is for class 8 trucks that run through fuel like ducks go through water.

ok, so i got this stump in my back yard i'm going to burn-out this weekend......................lol