BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Jan Warnqvist's Conversion Test- Outstanding! (3/27)
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jan Warnqvist's Conversion Test- Outstanding! (3/27)
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
now it's my turn to be chuffed! I rate a quote in your signature block. Now that says it all.

Since it seems important to you, I think you are "The Best There is at Cheap Fuel"

One day we'll get you to upgrade your priorities on safety and quality, then maybe I can drop the "Cheap Fuel" part.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH, I see what you were getting at!

I live in Australia. Cheap does not refer to Quality when you say something is Cheap in Australia.
In Australia Cheap means Low in Price.

One of my Favourite Auto Shops is "Super Cheap Autos".
And Then there is Dirt Cheap Stores, and do not forget about Cheap Air Fares

Telling me I am the best there is at Cheap Fuel is a great Compliment in Australia. That is exactly what I want to be.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tilly:

Telling me I am the best there is at Cheap Fuel is a great Compliment. That is exactly what I want to be.

It took me a while, but I kinda figured that would be the case. Even with the American intreptation.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick, You are a Laugh a Minute!

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark,

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steved:
I guess if people are going to post 3/27 results then they could say what kind of methanol they used.

I think I"ve been saying that for a while. How about also posting what temperature you do this test at when you get a pass or a fail?

I agree. And say how long you have let the test settle before you read it.

Just a question: Wasn't there someone recently who had trouble with a couple batchs because they changed methanol suppliers?

I still think the stuff we get to brew with varies MUCH more than Heet. And I still think Heet has very little variation from batch to batch and place to place.

Andrew

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve and Tilly,

One more question:

Do you now think Heet will be consistent, or vary in it's percent of impurities?

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Morris:

I still think the stuff we get to brew with varies MUCH more than Heet. And I still think Heet has very little variation from batch to batch and place to place.

Andrew

FWIW, I agree with you. The little bottles have less of a chance to get wet than the drums. In addition not everyone is getting methanol without additives. And then there are some people like Tilly buying technical grade methanol rather than racing fuel. The only exception would be HEET that sits on the shelf for years. Not sure how acidic methanol would work.

I also think it would be a good idea to write the manufacuture to ask about quality and their additives.

posted Hide Post
Steve,

Seems to me, if the spec sheets have it at over 99% pure, then it would probably not vary that much.

Also, if there is any chance that the variations would cause a problem, they would probably be pretty keen to avoid legal stuff.

How much do you think it varies?

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Steve,

It's economically feasable for HEET to be made from Reagent ACS Grade or it's equilivent. There are good reasons for them not to want to use Technical Grade. One is that the product would work better at it's intended job function with less water in it.

Please feel free to use Reagent ACS grade methanol for your testing. I don't think even Andrew is trying to get you to use something you feel uncomfortable using. I think this is probably more about gaining a consensus for what we tell newbies.

When you were testing the stuff that drained out of your pipes and it failed, was that Reagent ACS Grade methanol? I guess a better question would be what have you been using up until now?

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steved:

why don't you get a drum of the good methanol and sell small bottles of it ?

Hazmat shipping sircharges are outragous. With all the shipping charges a liter bottle costs twice as much through the mail as it does locally.

You've been using your production methanol for the 3/27? I have no doubt that you were making good bio before the 3/27 and contiue to meet your quality targets today. Are you considering changing over to Reagent grade for your 3/27 tests? From what little testing I did, it seems that the lower quality the methanol used in the test the higher the quality of the biodiesel needed to pass it. So if your happy with using technical grade for the test, why would you want to change?

posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew

You said:
"Do you now think Heet will be consistent, or vary in it's percent of impurities?"
I would have to test it. I can not tell by reading the name what the purity is. Have you tested it? Has Rick Tested it? If neither of you have tested any of the HEET accurately, why would you think it's purity consistancy is better than Racing Methanol?

According to what I found, the Racing Methanol has a purity of at least 99.85%. That means at the very most the quality will vary by 0.15%
The MSDS for the HEET says it has a purity of 99%. That means it has a possible variation of 1%.

Have either of you done any meaningful tests? A sensitive hydrometer is great for this, at least to start. If you haven't done any tests you do not have a clue what the variations are. Your gut feelings mean nothing. Do the tests, That answers questions.
And do not forget about the "Secret ingredients"

I Have posted what two people on this forum have found about the quality of HEET. Do you think they are not telling the truth?

If either of you have performed the tests great, post the results. Otherwise you are just crystal ball gazing.

posted Hide Post
Tilly,

quote:
According to what I found, the Racing Methanol has a purity of at least 99.85%. That means at the very most the quality will vary by 0.15%

Is that true for all methanol sold as race fuel in the US?

quote:
why would you think it's purity consistancy is better than Racing Methanol?

It was within the last few weeks that someone reported that the new methanol supply they got in a 55 gal. drum caused problems with their reaction. I have not found the post, but that is one reason.

Also, a friend of mine who is a race car driver says that in the US there are big variations in quality of methanol fuel available at race tracks.

Also, as I stated earlier, I have had batches which pass with heet, and fail with the locally available methanol. That is why I stopped using it. I believe that BD would be more soluable in more pure methanol, rather than less.

Just to be clear, when I refer to consistency, I mean from location to location, as well as batch to batch.

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew

Then the thing to do is go out and do some tests and find out for yourself. That is what I do when I have a question without an answer.
Spend some money. Spend some time. Do some tests. Advance our knowledge.
I live on the other side of the world and HEET is not available..
While I usually try not to think with my gut, as you have asked what I think, my Gut feeling is that the HEET is probably made with the cheapest Methanol available.
And don't forget the secret ingredients

I eagerly await your test results

posted Hide Post
Tilly,

Why do you ignore my last post?

I trust my own actual experience over your gut feeling.

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew

My crystal ball broke 8 years ago. I am stuck with performing real tests. If you want me to test something send it to me with the appropriate test equipment and test instructions and I will do my best.

If you trust your own experience over my "Gut Feeling" why do you keep asking me what I think?

I eagerly await your test results

posted Hide Post
Tilly,

I was curious what your interpretation of the info that has been discussed would be.

I see that you are as more interesed in arguing than improving things, sadly, as usual.

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew

What information?
Right now other than the several HEET MSDS's that shows HEET is not pure methanol and uniquewater's GC test that showed the HEET he had was contaminated and the information about the racing fuel, I know of no other hard information.
There was a lot of crystal ball gazing going on but that is certainly not information.

According to the current information available the Racing Fuel wins hands down

posted Hide Post
Steve,

Yes, I did. Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, Heet is not pure. We knew that. Earlier, someone pointed out the presence of some unknown other ingedient, along with methanol.

The question was and still is, is it consistent? That is the only thing that matters. As I see it, as of now, we have no real proof either way.

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

posted Hide Post
Hello Andrew

Let me get this straight in my mind,
You consider a consistantly inaccurate test result is an ideal situation.

If you want the proof go get the proof.
Spend Some money, do some tests, let us know what you find out.
Your Crystal ball gazing is meaningless

posted Hide Post
Tilly,

I never said I wanted proof. You said I wanted it.

I think even you, Tilly, can understand this:

1. 3/27 seems to work with yellow heet.
2. 3/27 is available all over the USA.
3. Regardless of what other ingredients are in there besides methaol, as long as they are the same every time, we can use 3/27 as a good means of comparing one batch to another.

Now, it would be nice to know how consitent heet is from batch to batch and place to place. I'd like to think it is the same every time. Truth is, we don't know.

Tilly, is that what you call crystal ball gazing?

Andrew

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew