Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
need answers before i continue and a hello!

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411061471/m/7547073973

September 13, 2014, 01:16 AM
roughhabitz
need answers before i continue and a hello!
Hello! First time posting so i would start with some questions. Hopefully get working on this soon! Alright now with some questions about WVO. I live in canada and have been in the restaurant industry for 12 years. Here in canada all restaurants use canola oil. I have only worked at 1 that mixed corn and canola for deep frying. So how will knowing my oil help me out? Also about "drying" i dont know how the restaurants in the U.S handle their oil but in canada if you put anything but oil in the collection container you get hassled for it or if its a huge company sometimes dropped as a client. No one ever puts water/chemicals or other grease in the oil.

Just a note. the restaurant im working at now never filters their oil we change them monday thursday and sunday. If its used less would that be a higher grade oil or low grade?
September 13, 2014, 02:47 AM
john galt
the make-biodiesel.org site will be useful to answer your questions
http://www.make-biodiesel.org

I collect 'high grade' liquid canola UVO from a 'high end' popular restaurant that uses it to cook raw spuds and battered fish, and filters it daily. It's changed at least weekly and sometimes more often during the busy June-August tourist season. It contains no hydrogenated oils or animal fats. The staff put it back into the cubies so it stays dry. It titrates at about 2 and makes premium biodiesel. Lightly used oil is lighter in color and generally titrates lower than darker well used oil.

September 13, 2014, 04:46 AM
Poppy
And I thought I was the only one who got oil from a restaurant that is changed 3 times a week.
Once a week seems to be about the standard oil change interval
My oil titrates right around 1 KOH and I bet yours does too.
I consider that to be Great quality WVO.

quote:
Originally posted by roughhabitz:
Just a note. the restaurant im working at now never filters their oil we change them monday thursday and sunday. If its used less would that be a higher grade oil or low grade?

September 13, 2014, 09:51 AM
Jon Heron
Welcome!
Where are you in Canada?
Around here canola, sunflower and partially hydrogenated canola are popular. Some places do put water and cleaners in the bin. There is a place in Fergus that does not have a grease trap so all of their fryer cleaning water and soap also goes into the bin, I avoid this stuff... Smile
The less used the oil is the better it will be.
Cheers,
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
September 13, 2014, 01:36 PM
roughhabitz
Thanks for all the replies!! I'm currently living in saskatoon. And i asked my boss recently how much money they get for their full used oil bin and he said 80$ a month for i would say well over 100gallons. So im thinking i can give them 100$ out of my tipout to take all i want. Considering canola prices right now is 24$ for 16L (4gal) jugs.

Also when i asked he seemed all excited when he told me that he got that much back. I might even wiesel my way into 25cents a litre which is still way more then what he is getting.
September 14, 2014, 11:02 AM
dannodiesel
Hi..
I'm fortunate too to get some oil from a Harvey's that is changed 3 times a week and I routinely convert it with less than 8g/L KOH with a pretreat and a 2 stage no titration method...
I'll bet your oil is that good too...
Welcome...
Dan...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dannodiesel,
September 14, 2014, 12:39 PM
dannodiesel
Hi again...
You know what...I think $.25 per L is way too much...

Here...the value of good wvo is 17 cents max...and many get offered 15 cents or 10 cents per liter..or zero dollars for inferior oil...
I try to get the oil for $1.00 per jug max when possible...
September 15, 2014, 04:48 AM
Daniel Trifonov
A little bit offtopic.
Here in Bulgaria the used cooking oil price is around 0.7 USD per liter. All you guys are very happy with your prices.

° can be diplayed, by using Alt+248(NumPad)
September 16, 2014, 05:54 AM
roughhabitz
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Trifonov:
A little bit offtopic.
Here in Bulgaria the used cooking oil price is around 0.7 USD per liter. All you guys are very happy with your prices.

I think it has to do with supply and demand type of thing. We have to somewhat compete with other companies taking the oil. Back in the day it was just a garbage type of waste (restaurants paid to have it removed) but now its the companies paying the restaurantas for the oil.

Might be wrong but its just a thought.