BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Liquid Chromatograph questions

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liquid Chromatograph questions
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a HP 1090 Liquid Chromatograph and was wondering if anyone has any experience in using one of these for testing BD. Any details or links with respect to what particular mobile phase and columns are best/commonly used for BD testing would be appriciated.

Location: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anarchist Moderator
posted Hide Post
Hi TDIguy2,

The common test for biodiesel using chromatograpy follows ASTM method D6584. It uses gas chromatography (GC) and a flame ionization detector (FID) to determine conversion quality by quantifying the unreacted glycerides (monos, dis, tris) as well as remaining "free" glycerine. The EN spec for biodiesel utilizes EN method 14103 to determine the percent mass of methyl esters in the sample as well as speciation of the esters using GC.

I am not aware of any test protocols for biodiesel, either to the US ASTM standard or to the European EN standard that use liquid chromatograpy - although they may well exist.

Bob in Kumasi

Got Renewable Fuel?

Location: Moncure, North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://scholarship.claremont.e...ontext=pomona_theses

found this on google,

i would also dive in more using google scholar...

posted Hide Post
Interesting article on HPLC for BD. I have operated both an HP 1090 HPLC and a HP 5890 GC. My choice for BD would be the GC. The LC would be easier, but as the article said, you need two detectors (we had only the DAD (UV) detector on ours). The HPLC would certainly be cheaper to operate, but the MS detector is expensive. We had a FID on the GC. If you get the HPLC working, let me know how it works . Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this would help. In 1981 in organic research lab we used methylene chloride as a HPLC mobile phase. I collected the methylene chloride from a big barrel in the solvent shed, put a drying agent in it and distilled it a gallon at a time. I suppose it was cheaper to dry it just prior to use than to buy ultra-pure solvents from Fischer or some chemical company. I don't know what the stationary phase was. A problem with testing biodiesel with column chromatograpy, is water of course, but potassium sticking at the head of the column. I expect the biodiesel sample injected into the head of the column ought to be very pure or it might clog the column eventually.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this might help. There's a book titled Practical Liquid Chromatography, written by Perry and others, published by plenum press, 1972, 1974, & 1976, ISBN number 0-0306-30548-8. It gives lots of helpful information. I read it years ago.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post