Read that acetone can be used in place of isopropyl alcohol for residual catalyst and soap titration. Has anyone tried this or have data on the validity of the statement? Currently using 99% iso shipped in and is therefore expensive. Best I can find locally is 70%.
Better yet can Methanol be used for initial titration as well as soap tests?
For your initial titration, methanol is not suitable as the wvo will not dissolove in methanol.hth
Just poking my head in. I'm normally found on the biopowered.co.uk site and the vegetableoildiesel.co.uk sites.
I noticed the thread about acetone and whilst we don't use if for the application mentioned here, I though you would find our experiments of interest.
Over christmas a friend and myself were taling about the effect of acetone on the finished fuel's performance and why and figured that it might help with water washing (we also neutralise fuel after glycerin separation so that pump washing can be safely done). As a result of adding a few mls of acetone we've found that water washing can be accomplished with as little as 2 small buckets of water in a couple of hours and achieve a soap ppm of <70ppm. Pushing the fuel through hardwood shavings then reduce soaps to zero.
Another member of the biopowered forum then found an academic paper that showed you could use acetone as a co-solvent, that allows much reduced reaction temperatures, lower lye amounts and conversion in less time.
Thank you Nathan. I too poke my head into your site as a guest for more information. Could you elaborate on how much Acetone you use per. liter? Also what PH do you neutralize to?
Ok, so I'm giving the acetone a go, after I demethed my latest batch of fuel, I put the acetone into our settling tank, and pumped in 1200 L of hot bio. Initial soaps after demething were unusually high due to (I'm speculating), a broken filter bag that allowed all kinds of goo into my system. soap was at 8000 ppm before settling. after 24 hrs it was at 4250ppm. I'll report back on results of this in a few days. I figured with soaps that high, I had little to lose if it didn't work out. These numbers are abnormally high for our set up, an I've got to get a handle on them. All I can find that could be causing the problem, is the burst bag filters, which contaminated my next three batches of feedstock. After I get this oil through the system I think I'm going to give every tank a good rinse so I can start fresh.
I'd really like to hear from anyone who has messed with acetone, so I can get input on how much to use, and at what stage. I poked around on the bio uk site, but results seemed a little inconclusive at this point. Has anyone here stumbled onto any papers or links about acetone? I just got started on this project, but a 3,750ppm drop in 24 hrs is really encouraging.
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!
I add a splash of acetone to every 25lts of homebrew,mainly because I get it free and I have read about it helping "wetting out" and improved injector spray pattern.It certainly seems to give more punch when you put your foot down(always hard to know if you are imagining it though) as for increased m.p.g. Nothing remarkable has been obvious so far.
look up method AOCS Cc 17-95, that is soap titration in oil but It works with biodiesel too.
it uses acetone
Not only acetone works on the Biodiesel folks,
Xylene, Toluene works too.
My Nissan yd22td had a cold start problem 1 yaer ago but after I started to add 30 ml Toluene, Acetone or Xylene to tank ( tank capacity 55 ltrs) car starts smoothly, just 1 secont from starter turning.
In comparison, I need in the past 5 seconds to crank starter to ignite combustion in engine.
Seems to me that mixture of Biodiesel with Acetone, Xylene or Toluene cleans out Fuel system, engine becams robust, runs smoothly and moreover its a good economy.
I would say its definetly at least 10% more mileage.
Try it and you will not be dissapointed.
Use common sense how much Xylene or Toluene you need to use. Simply because Xylene dissolves a lot of plastics.
I'm using about 1 year mixture of Biodiesel and Xylene, or toluene or acetone and Petrodiesel.
22 ltrs mixing with 30 ml of solvents (Acetone or Xylene or Toluene), then pouring into tank an topping up with Petrodiesel to 55ltrs.
|Powered by Social Strata|