In my last few batches I've gotten a little bit of fallout on my 27/3 test. Usually I let it run for another hour or so and it gets less. If there is just a small little bubble at the bottom of the jar I let it go. That has had no ill effects so far. It seems to be getting worse. The batch in the reactor right now looks like the attached photo. Its been almost 2 hours agitating. Titrations on this oil is usually good, this batch was 1.5ml on average. The last few batches were between 1 and 2ml. I dewater by distilling in a GL Eco style processor.
What could be going wrong and how should I fix it.
27-3.jpg (48 Kb, 2 downloads)
I'm not sure what the problem is but here are some possibilities; Wet oil, Wet methanol,Degraded NaOH/KOH exposed to air too long, Not mixing properly during reaction, Not hot enough during reaction time, Not reacting long enough, Not enough methanol/caustic catalyst. Old oil can probably cause problems but I'm not sure why. What was the titration number on your current batch? Phenolthalein used for getting the titration number can get old too. Not blanking the alcohol when titrating the vegetable oil. Wet methanol used in 3/27 test. This is a few things I thought of on short notice.
all of the above, but if this has come on gradualy and is getting worse then I think build up of junk in the bottom of the processor that interfeares with mixing. check this out
What you discribe is exactly what I experianced, after cleaning the processor the problem went away. This situation was caused by inefective fluid movement within the tank (pump too small) and was totally resolved by adding these paint mixers.
" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.
|Powered by Social Strata|