BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    What does your oil titrate at?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does your oil titrate at?
 Login/Join

posted
Just curious what everyones oil titrates at? I collect from 4 places and get between 100 and 125 gallons per month. My oil titrates between .5 and .85 and that is collecting from 4 different places. I see a few people talking about higher titrations. When I collected from a Chinese restaurant the oil titrated at around 10, but I no longer collect from them. Just curious what everyone is working with.

Thanks!

Location: Jonesborough, TN | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect soybean oil from one restaurant and it consistently titrates at .75-1.25 KOH.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Canola feedstock between 2.0 and 2.5 NaOH consistently over the last several years.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I titrated a name brand, new corn oil at 0.66 one time then 1.4 another time. That was with NaOH. I'm not sure why there was a difference. I've been using new corn oil for my experiments.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ours is generally between 2 and 4 KOH. We have a few places with exceptional oil and a few that overuse it, so it depends on the blend because it all goes in the same settling tank.

posted Hide Post
My sources have ALL changed in the last few months. So my new sources have me at 2-5ml KOH, depending on which place has a greater % of the total volume that collection run.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I get all my oil from places that use it one day for fish frys. I usually get 25 gallons from each place. The local ruitans have these fish frys on Friday nights and they are usually either every other week or once a month. They all titrate very low .5 to .8 KOH. It really makes things much easier when working with low titrating oil.

Location: Jonesborough, TN | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a single source and collect directly from the frier, last year 5 KOH this year 8 ; nothing has changed on their menu and used for same amount of time 7 days.

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ours is getting worse, it used to be around 3.0 naoh. we are getting in the 7.0 range lately.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is mostly Soy and titrates 1.5-3 KOH. I did notice at one point my titation was creeping up. Was running 5 or more. I made a new batch of reagent and bingo! right back to 1.5-3 again.
I guess I made more soap for a while...
Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree on the titration soulution! I change mine about every 3 weeks. Seems like overkill, but I make large batches, so an error is a big one.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post