BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    What standard tests do you do?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What standard tests do you do?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all!

Fairly new here. I'm a big fan of spreadsheets and looking to keep track of BD quality along the different stages. Then I can figure out if any changes I make actually do anything haha.

Just wondering what you experienced brewers consider important to record?

So far these are the standard tests that I do.

1. 3/27 test
2. pH
3. Density
4. Moisture Content (ppm)
5. Soap Content (ppm)
6. Viscosity
7. Flash Point

Are there any other useful tests that I should be using?

posted Hide Post
Hi ryee,
Welcome to the forum!

In my mind, the only test that is important is the "bright and clear" test and that is the only test I use for my biodiesel.

Biodiesel is an oil and oil does not have pH so your pH test will tell you nothing important.
Assuming you are using WVO from fryers to make your biodiesel, if you pass the 3/27, soap and moisture test then you will also pass the Density, and Viscosity test so you do not need to do those two.

For our situation I see no value in the flash test.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the prompt reply! Great to know your points, sounds much more simple than I thought haha Smile

posted Hide Post
The following tests are run on each batch of BioDiesel:
1. estimate of conversion percent w/ dropout from 10ml BD + 90ml methanol
2. estimate of residual soap/glycerol w/ 1/3 dist water 2/3 washed & dried BD
3. estimate of water content in BD and fuel blends w/ carbide & manometer

Cold climate operations require more quality control of fuel to eliminate contamination from soap/glycerol and water. Also, computerized fuel systems require high quality BD fuels as compared with mechanically controlled fuel systems.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
2. estimate of residual soap/glycerol w/ 1/3 dist water 2/3 washed & dried BD
You have piqued my interest!
I do not believe I have ever run across this test where you estimate the Residual soap/glycerol w 1/3 dist water and 2/3 washed and dried BD.
Please provide a link or give a detailed description how this test is performed and how you read the results

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello ryee.
a new member interested in testing, thats good.
You would be better using the 10/90 tube for the dropout/conversion. Far more accurate than doing a 3/27. Also the proper 10/90 tubes are calibrated down to 0.05mls on the low end.

How are you testing for water.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Dgs,

quote:
Originally posted by Dgs:
You would be better using the 10/90 tube for the dropout/conversion....Also the proper 10/90 tubes are calibrated down to 0.05mls on the low end.
So I take it you are no longer using the 30/270 test rig that you were using last year.

This is the first time I have heard about a "proper 10/90 tube"
I am curious who made the determination that it was the proper 10/90 tube.
It would be good if you could provide a link to these proper 10/90 tubes you are recommending.

posted Hide Post
I designed and had a proper 10/90 test tube made for me, custom made. It is shaped like a separatory funnel but is closed on the lower end. It has a pear shaped upper reservoir with a lower calibrated tube with 0.05 milliliter divisions. The upper pear shaped reservoir is calibrated also. 1,2,3,4,5 milliliters, 10,15,20,25 ml then 30,40,45,50 ml then 60,70,80,90,100ml. It might be a unique piece of chemistry equipment. NDS Technologies, Inc. 891 East Oak Road, Vineland, New Jersey 08360, telephone in USA (800)367-0330, made two of these tubes for me. Ordering information for one of these tubes is Item#8005-02, previous price quote was $590.00/ 6 pieces. The cost might have gone up since July 17, 2014 when the price quote was made. Norm Neill was the contact person if you want to order two or more of them. They are a custom job, not off the shelf.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WesleyB,

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post