BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Dry Washing

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry Washing
 Login/Join

posted
I was reading a forum the other day explaining a washing method called " dry washing ". It claims that by recovering the methanol and letting the BioD sit you can produce astm quality fuel. Now this sounds great, saves water and time,etc. I would be interested in seeing what others think or if anyone is practing this method.
Methanol recovery only makes sense to me but making it the last step?

Thanks Guys

ImageProcessor.jpg (43 Kb, 63 downloads)

Location: Central New York | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The process originated here by a chap called Graham Lamming and is archived under "the GL one day process" if you care to use the search feature.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Legal,
I am looking forward to trying this out once I get my processor finished. Working on it everyday, a little at a time.
My fiance says I cant bring it on our honeymoon. No since of humor whatsover!

Location: Central New York | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love this method compared to water washing. It is so much less labor intensive and just plain easier. This is the procedure that works for me and others will do it differently: After methonal removal, I will let it sit for a couple of days to let the soap and any remaining glycerin drop out. Then I usually only have to bag filter from 4 to 8 hours to get crystal clear BD. I test for soap and usually see 150 ppm =/- 50 ppm.

I was mist washing then bubbling with water on the bottom for the first 300 gallons of BD I made. Switch to Graham's method for the next 300 gallons and have loved it.

Mark
'83 6.2 Suburban, 320k miles
'86 6.2 K5 Blazer, 280k miles
1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

Location: Concord, NC | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to stay away from as much water as possible. Its freezing at least half the year here and its not a water friendly environment at all.
I am hoping that my processor will be pretty much a closed system. I want to react -> Then crank up the heat and ditill -> then pump into the settling tank.

Heres hoping.......

Imageprocessor.jpg (43 Kb, 44 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I just tried 2 batches using the dry method last night, so I guess I'll need to wait a few days to see if things settle out.

I'm also using KOH as the catalyst, not NaOH, like Graham does. Does anyone else have experience with KOH and Dry Washing?

If just performing using 5 gallon bucket runs, would one POUR off the top when it clears, so as to not disturb the soap at the bottom? Or should I install another tap, higher on the bucket? (still getting the kinks out of my processing before moving to 40 gallon, then 80 gallon processors.

2007 Dodge Ram, 2x-2006 VW Jettas - 34,000 B100 miles by 2009.

Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: October 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post