BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Making the 0.01N HCL solution for soap titrations

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making the 0.01N HCL solution for soap titrations
 Login/Join

posted
I am about to get geared up to do soap titrations and need some clarification with the formula posted at the CBT.
I am going to make the solution using muriatic acid thats label states it is 31.45%.
Whomever wrote the article states this;
quote:
The formula is for finding the number of milliliters is:
[edit: these are the corrected numbers I think: x= (0.365 x 100) / percentage from the bottle . See several posts down for more information]

X [which is milliliters to use] = 0.365g / ( (percentage HCL in g) (100 ml))

Substitute the actual percentage from the bottle (ie 30.7 or 29.24 or whatever it says)

So which is the right formula? It is probably obvious but not for this guy... Roll Eyes
I am assuming that my formula should be;
X= 36.5/31.45 ?
Which equals 1.161 ml of acid per litre of water?
Did I get it right?
Thanks,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon,

That sounds right. But to improve accuracy, I would go the stock solution route that GirlMark describes further down.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spot on Jon.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon,
Are you still using this formula?
I have HCl that is 32%. Kinda hard to measure 1.61ml unless I find the weight of it. I have an extremely accurate digital scale.

Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weldshop,
To make a .01N HCl solution using your 32% HCl, you would use 1.14g of your acid per liter of total solution.

Molar mass of HCl / purity x Normality of solution being made.

36.5/.32 x .01 = 1.140625g

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a very accurate 5ml pipette that made the measurement not too bad when making the stock solution. I really didnt have enough confidence in the solution though so I ended up just buying a ready made one HERE, it was cheap and at my door in 2 days.
Cheers,
Jon

posted Hide Post
HI there all.... To make the HCL solution... is it 1,14g in 1 liter of water or how ?

posted Hide Post
please, can someone help me, i'm making biodiesel in brazil, i have 30% hidrochloric acid, i need to make 0.01n hidrochloric acid, how much grams of 30% hidrochloric acid for a liter of water?
thank you roberto

posted Hide Post
Dacosta; Do you have a density for your 30% hydrochloric acid?

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
I have a very accurate 5ml pipette that made the measurement not too bad when making the stock solution. I really didnt have enough confidence in the solution though so I ended up just buying a ready made one HERE, it was cheap and at my door in 2 days.
Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Prolabscientific is up the street from my place and to get 0.01N HCL required a special order according to their chemist and a gallon would have cost $37 IIRC

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post