BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    simple test for water in fuel.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

simple test for water in fuel.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi Dave thanks for the input. Yes I havde checked for leaks but its 100% regarding carbide I use crushed carbide and always check the freshness. So my problem isnt in that area. Does anybody expperience the same or similar ?

Location: south africa | Registered: September 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braam. Then there is no water in your Bio. Take some carbide put half a tea spoon full in the sink and wet it. It should give off lots of gas. if no gas what you have is not carbide. Have you made a 500ppm sample and a 2000 ppm sample and tested that?

Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Braam and Sam,

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely that the bio will be zero water.

when I experimented with a long drying cycle with the turbo dryer (13 hours) I once had the water to only 50ppm. (KF)

The only time I tested some bio that didn't have any pressure reading with the s/b was a bio sample that I mixed with CaO just to see the outcome.

Braam, why dont you undo the cap on your manometer sample jar and add a tiny drop of water from the end of a syringe or similar. Then give her a good shake and see what happens.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you made a 500ppm sample and a 2000 ppm sample and tested that?

Exactly !!! When in doubt always test a known calibration sample instead of playing guessing games.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input friends , I think I will re-do the 500 and 2000ppm tests again and see what comes up. Carbide reacts perfectly with water , so no prioblem there and also no leaks on manometer . Will give results tomorrow.

Location: south africa | Registered: September 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post