BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    simple test for water in fuel.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

simple test for water in fuel.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hello Raften, I have always used 100 gram samples because its easy and accurate with my digital kitchen scales, but it doesnt really matter what sample size you use as long as you are consistent.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, thats the way I was looking at it. Easier for me to just pour out 100ml instead of weighing it.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD running B100

Self appointed Minister Of Propaganda, Order Of The Semi Sealed Steel Drum Reactor

Currently washing and drying with a "Death Trap" heater.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi imakebiodiesel,
Its really interesting to read about your carbide manometer. Did u ever notice any fluctuation in the height of water displaced as the acetylene gas release?? i would like to ask u about the uniformity in the flow of gas .. or did u ever tried to place a small barrier like a cork to stop the flow of gas for a while,until the reaction is complete in that bottle and allowed the gas at a single strecth to flow and read the manometer... Im asking this because as soon as the reaction starts the gas starts to release and displaces water in manometer..whether the gas flow is continous showing the same level of height displacement throughout the reaction...Or u repeat the experiment until u get a same result ..... how will u ensure this...

lavan

Location: India | Registered: August 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Lavan. You are right that the reaction begins very quickly. I try not to upset the capful of carbide until the lid of the cup is firmly screwed on. This way I do not lose the first few seconds of gas release. The pressure then builds up quickly at first and then more slowly for about 3 minutes.
I have never tried block the tube to get an instant readings, although the pressure involved is not very high, its never advisable to contain an inflammable gas under pressure.
Over the last 3 months I have regularly retested my reference samples. The results are all within 10% which is a good enough result for my needs.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi imake..
Thank you for ur reply..im planning to perform this water content experiment... can you suggest me any other possible experiments for testing the biodiesel quality in small scale level ..i have collected few procedures to perform cloud point, pour point, cold soak filterability ..im trying to devise few procedures to initially test my biodiesel samples with few additive combinations in the future,,, im in the verge of setting my own home lab...,,, lavan

lavan

posted Hide Post
The most important test for the small scale producer has to be the 3/27 test which tells you the extent of conversion.
The soap test, or shake em up test as its called, is also useful to find out that the fuel is fully washed

The main difficulty with these and some earlier tests for water content is that they call for a certain amount of judgement by the person doing the test. This means that they are of limited use to the absolute beginner. However once you get a bit of practice they are very valuable tools.

posted Hide Post
Hi imake...
i have been searching about the method to determine the viscosity of biodiesel... i found in the forum about Dr. pepper viscometer.... but im nt quiet clear about the way of constructing it..Is there any pictorial representation available for that Dr. pepper viscometer. Have u got any idea about how to determine the viscosity of biodiesel??? I found that oxidation stability of biodiesel (storage stability) can be found by determining the iodine value of biodiesel or by determining the oil stability index of biodiesel...This shows how many days / months we can effectively store the biodiesel ... How do u experiment the storage stability of ur biodiesel ??? Is any forum members got any methods for determining the stability???

lavan

posted Hide Post
I dont think there is a pic if the viscometer you mention but it is so simple it does not need one. Take any PET drinks bottle and make a vertical slit 25 mm long somewhere in the lower half of the bottle.( a stanley knife is good for this) Fill the bottle with a liquid of known viscosity and time how long it takes the liquid to leak out down to the bottom of the slit.
Empty the bottle and this time fill it with your test liquid and time it again. The viscosity of the liquids are in direct proportion to the time.

posted Hide Post
Home brewers are rarely concerned about oxidation and shelf life. Most of us consume all of our production within weeks of making it. If you are intending to store biodiesel for extended periods, store somewhere cool, in plastic containers with as little air space as possible. I dont know of any simple tests for this aspect of biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
I tried a simple experiment yesterday which worked very well. I filled my processor as usual with 150 litres of WVO and turned on the 3000w immersion heater and the circulation pump.. The water content of the oil was 2400ppm. My processor has a lid on top which I replaced with sheet of thin plywood fitted with a 3inch computer fan which blows air into the processor. The air then escapes out through two 3inch holes. The oil reached 60 degrees C in two hours and measured only 700 ppm. I then put the proper lid on and processed as usual.

posted Hide Post
Don't ya love how good that system works. I do the same thing to dry fuel only I bubble instead of pump. For some strange reason my little fish tank air pump won't pump air to the bottom of the tank anymore so I need a new pump. Can't find any air leaks but just won't do it anymore.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Raften, I have to give you full credit for the idea. I copied your dryer arrangement. So my findings so far are hot air blown over cold biodiesel/oil does not work. Cold air blown over hot biodiesel/oil works well and saves energy. Hot air blown over hot biodiesel/oil works very well but uses more energy.

posted Hide Post
Announcing a major technical up grade to the carbide manometer! Place two glass marbles in your cup before filling with 100gms of fuel. The marbles help to stir the carbide and generate the gas more quickly. This is especially good when measuring the water content of WVO. Without the marbles it can take 6 or 7 minutes of agitation before the manometer stops, with the marbles it takes about 3 minutes.

posted Hide Post
The marble mod, I'll give it a try.

posted Hide Post
For those interested, I see a fellow on eBay is selling Calcium Hydride in small quantities. Where imake is using Calcium Carbide the commercial moisture meters generally use Calcium Hydride.

Here is the eBay Link.

For the record, I have no connection with the seller and have not tried the product. Just saw it while browsing.

Hugh

posted Hide Post
This is excellent! Calcium hydride is much more reactive than calcium carbide so a very small amount will be enough. I hope some of you guys in the states will try it out and let us know how it works out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raften:
For some strange reason my little fish tank air pump won't pump air to the bottom of the tank anymore so I need a new pump. Can't find any air leaks but just won't do it anymore.

Go to your local fish/aquarium supply store and get a rebuild kit for your pump, they are cheap and will likely have one on the shelf as the diaphragms wear out regularly on all those pumps.

I will be making one of these imanometers but not until next year...
Thanks for all the great work people!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon
-Jon I can send you carbide when you are ready, no charge, pm me your address. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey thanks Tom!
Maybe I will have one setup before next year Wink
I already have an old natural gas U tube from my service days I intend to use...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize that not everyone has the time or inclination to assemble an Carbide Manometer or buy an expensive Sandy Brae test kit so I have decided to offer a free water testing service. Any one who wants to find out the water content of their biodiesel should post me a 150ml sample in a small drinks bottle labelled with their mobile phone number.( I dont need your name or address) I will test and send you the result by text. If you send more than one sample label them A, B, C etc. No commercial producers please. My address is the Railway Station, Lismore, County Waterford, Ireland.
If you are posting your sample from outside Ireland or the UK please include an email address instead of the phone number.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,