BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Water Content in BD

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Content in BD
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,
Just read a study relating Biodiesel ability to absorb water.
In short words it says that Biodiesel will absorb water so quickly that in 24 hours it reaches equilibrium with atmosferic moisture content.Also bio absorbing more water during day( because of heat) and releases water during night (temperature drop) which causes water condensation on bottom of the tank.It says a lot of useful information , but I want to concentrate (IMAO)on most important question - REAL B100 BIODIESEL WATER CONTENT.In short words anyone can post water measurements in ppm from tank or return line, pump etc (from real working fuel system , not from canister or drum or etc.
Just thinking if biodiesel reaches 1500 ppm in fuel system during the 24 hours whats the point to dewater Confused ?? Whats the point to waste time and energy?
Not sure what im saying is true, needs to be researched.
So please post your measurements including regions and relative humidity. I think this is really important.
Thanks in advance.

posted Hide Post
http://make-biodiesel.org/Qual...for-water-in-vo.html

I mix all my biodiesel with petro diesel and the mix never absorbs water. Tests at about 50ppm consistently.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Your research says it reaches equlibrium with atmospherric moisture content. 1500 ppm is the approx maximum it can hold before going turbid. When it goes turbid, the water content is high enough to damage your injector pump. The water content may not reach 1500ppm becasue your humidity may not be high enough to force it there.

It's only the humidity of the air in the headspace of the tank that matters, not atmospheric humidity. When you fill the tank, the air in the tank is expelled leaving very little water vapor behind in the headspace. this quickly equilizes out without notiable change in the water content of the biodiesel.

Air (and water) is only drawn in as the tank is drained and during the daily heating and cooling cycles. neither introduces significant water to the tank in the short term.

http://make-biodiesel.org/Rick...-vent-dessicant.html

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:

I mix all my biodiesel with petro diesel and the mix never absorbs water. Tests at about 50ppm consistently.

Exciting. What's your initial BD water content in ppm, what's your blending proportions and at what temperature you keeping your blend?
thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bbarclays:
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:

Exciting. What's your initial BD water content in ppm, what's your blending proportions and at what temperature you keeping your blend?
thanks

Finished, 10µ filtered BD is generally in the H2O range of 700ppm to 200ppm or less, depending on how long it's 'aged'.

The stock winter fuel mix is 50 parts BD; 35 parts Kerosene/jetA/D#1/stove oil; 15 parts petrol/gasoline (<E5) [Summer mix has 5 parts petrol; 10 parts clean, dry UVO instead of all petrol]

The fuel mix is circulated through a column of polymer water absorbing 'crystals', until a sample of the mix tests to <50ppm H2O. One or two passes is generally enough.

It's stored at ambient outdoor temperature and the inlet of the fuel dispensing pump is kept in the clear fuel layer as the HMPE components settle out on the bottom of the barrel as the temperature drops.

Final filtering is through a 5µ string wound filter cartridge and into the vehicle tank. The final filter lasts for years.

The fuel mix in the vehicle tank is adjusted with pump diesel for the ambient operating temperature so that the fuel mix in the tank does not gel. The mix in the vehicle tank varies from 15% BD to 50% BD seasonally. Cost savings on an annual basis amounts to a 30% discount on the price of pump diesel.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice setup, john galt.
It is any chance to measure water content in tank?
I mean in working fuel system, not from initial standardised sources.Obviously fuel in supply and return system is constantly changing temperature.Im suspect if relative humidity in your area is 66% at 21*C then water content in B100 at tank IN LONG TERM might be as high as 800ppm!
It is just theory , needs to be busted or confirmed.Thats why asking for help.
Anyone, pls post your B100 or any B blend water measurements from working fuel line or tank.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It is any chance to measure water content in tank?

Yup, happens frequently when a sample is drawn from the sedimenter. No evidence of an increase in water content has been observed. I do not believe that solutions of BD and petro absorb moisture from the air in any significant quantity.

posted Hide Post
Build a simple carbide manometer and test your theory for yourself, with your fuel, in your climate. The high plains of Alberta has a different environment than on the coast near sea level.