BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Attempting soap test
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attempting soap test
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Irokcj5,

I believe i remember someone ( GCG,GRAYDON? ) saying that in order to get the best resolts out of your soap test, you would need to get the purist guality solutions.

meaning you would need to use 99-100 percent IPA and lab grade 0.01n HCL solution.

It seems to me better to take any suspicion of ingredients out of the equation.

DW

Location: outer space | Registered: May 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, I'm out of 91% IPA, so my next purchase I will find 99-100%. BTW, I think the soap testing video said that 91% would work, but.....

irokcj5

Location: Somewhere in the swamp... | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had this same problem. Turns out the biodiesel was acidic. Don't yet worry about why or how, just do the following test. Try a normal titration of 1ml of Biodiesel in 10ml of IPA to figure out how acidic. Mine took 1ml and the result was very transparent pink just so you know. To repair this, I mixed with about 150ml of water, 73 grams of KOH (1 gram x 73 liters of bio) and just stirred in. Poof! I now have non-acidic biodiesel. I now also have lots of soap that I got to wash out. Now worry about how and why you got acidic bio - I do.

Doug

Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got my 100% IPA, thanks Graydon....Now just to have the time to get back to SCIENCE!!!!

Location: Somewhere in the swamp... | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is IPA?

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC

83 MB 300SD (2 tank) - Greasel
98 Dodge 2500 (2 tank) - Golden Fuels
82 Rabbit Truck (2 tank) - my design) - SOLD
Diesel Craft CF process in enclosed shed
BD first batch 9/23/12, still going ..
6-4x10 solar hot water panels and 500 gallon wood-burning water stove
2.8 kW PV grid-tie w/batt b/u commissioned March 2011

Location: High Point, NC | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IPA is an acronym for isopropyl alcohol or 2-propanol.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post