BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Can I safely use two year old ASTM B99?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I safely use two year old ASTM B99?
 Login/Join

posted
A friend offered me 15 gallons of ASTM B99 for free that he purchased in '07. It has been sitting in his garage in sealed containers. I said I would take it off his hands but am not sure that B99 keeps for that long. Does it? What steps should I take before using it...if the consensus is that I can use it safely?

vegoil and biodiesel since May 2006

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it still smell like diesel? If it does use it.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be concerned if it smelled like diesel, paint thinner, kerosene or any other petro product, which can indicate destructive oxidation, i.e. 'going rancid'. Degradation usually results in acidification. Place a dull penny in a sample of the BD and see if it becomes bright and clean, thus indicating acidification.

If it smells like fresh biodiesel then it's probably OK to use.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine you would be able to smell the diesel that is used in B99. The smell of B100 depends on the type of oil used.

From time to time I have smelled biodiesel that that has sit for a long time that has the smell of rancid oil. I suspect this is an indication that it is changing. I have always used it with no problems.

Location: Southside | Registered: January 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For petes sake it's only 15 gallons, put five gallons in per tank full and it aint gonna hurt a damn thing, even if it did smell a little like paint thinner, just burn a couple gallons at a time.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some year old bio in the back of the shed-100lts.I decided to try washing it and see what the pH of the wash water was-first wash (10 Lts water) gave pH =3 .Took seven more washes to get it back to pH =7.I was surprised it had got that acidic ,I did notice it smelled slightly different to normal,but nothing rancid

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Anytime the question of safety is raised there will be differing and sometimes conflicting comments and opinions. Everyone has their own definition of "Can I safely use...".

The better question to ask is "Would you use this fuel in your vehicle?"

This forum has a Poll function that can be useful for such questions.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post