BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Leave it set?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leave it set?
 Login/Join

posted
So I just made the first batch of the year 03 07 2012. I water wash still and its still to cold for that. What happens if it just sets for a while? with an open top I'm guessing the methanol will evaporate, the soaps should settle, its clear right now and passed the 3/27 would this work? and how long would it have to set? this is a 40 gallon batch. I'm hoping cold nights will help speed up the process. Thanks

Location: Ohio | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happens if it just sets for a while? with an open top I'm guessing the methanol will evaporate, the soaps should settle

Yes, that will happen.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Settling is a great way to "dry-wash" fuel. I'm not sure that all of the methanol will evaporate unless you provide some sort of agitation or bubbling. As the methanol evaporates the soaps will settle out more quickly. If you do this in a barrel equipped with a standpipe as I do, then removing the finished fuel is easy. You should still dry it, although without water washing this is a pretty quick process. Cold filter for a final polish.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok so I put a fish tank bubbler into a full 55 gallon poly cone tank of fresh bio for one week, I just shut it down tonite and noticed little white floaties on top of the bio. I was under the impression that everything would settle. Does anyone know what these white floaties are and will they fall? I plan on letting it settle for another week. jAny sugestions? {or help} thanks.

Location: Ohio | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess would be soap. It should settle out but with the cooler temps it will be slower. Wouldn't the methanol evaporate faster if you added some heat?

96 Ram 2500 2WD running 90/10 WVO/RUG, 2 tank system, 10 plate FPHE
99 VW Beetle 5 speed, single tank B100
82 GMC P/U 6.2 running 85/15 WVO/RUG (Sold)

Location: Central Alabama | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post