BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Water wash sat idle too long? Is my bio bad?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water wash sat idle too long? Is my bio bad?
 Login/Join

posted
When I was just about done water washing, I got sidetracked and let the last wash sit for about a week in ~40F temps. I do a heat/settle before my "official" fan nozzle/recirculate dry cycle. When I looked in the top of the wash tank after the heat and settle, the bio looked like VERY rusty, cloudy water. I have never seen this color before. My bio is either OJ colored after a wash, and amber colored when heated. It's a 35 gallon batch if that matters.

The bio is drying as I write this, but I'm wondering if there is already some sort of problem with its quality due to leaving it "wet" for too long?

2005 Duramax

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarquisVII:
The bio is drying as I write this, but I'm wondering if there is already some sort of problem with its quality due to leaving it "wet" for too long?

Maybe there's something else going on. For what it's worth, there have been many times I have had my biodiesel sitting on top of the wash water for a couple or more weeks without any noticeable problems.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left mine once by mistake in a bigger batch and got a rusty color instead of the OJ. I ran it through another wash and then into my dry tank and it came out great. Not sure if it was hardness of the water since I was washing with well water or not, but passed 27/3 and soap test and all gone now.

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it sets longer like that it gets better!
Assuming that you have a complete reaction. 3/27 test clear.
The soap and water settle in the BD, the soap rises in the water.
If you have washed enough by then just take the BD off and dry it.
It will dry much faster after the long set.
If it is early in your wash cycle, you might even save a wash.
The settling of the biodiesel is a benefit.
Time is on our side in that way.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post