BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    3/27 test

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3/27 test
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys, just a little confuse on what exacly I'm looking for on the test 3/27 test, I read "fall outs" this has been sitting for 1/2 of an hour, and I can see just a small brown line at the bottom, way less than a 16th of a in is this a "good to go" or did I failed?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX
Bio-Diesel Engines are adictive!
If you ever go to Mexico don't forget to fuel up your diesel engine, border diesel from Mexico is imported from the U.S. you'll pay around $2 USD! per/Gal

Location: Rio Rico, AZ | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
upss! I mean to send this one

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX
If you ever go to Mexico don't forget to fuel up your diesel engine, border diesel from Mexico is imported from the U.S. you'll pay around $2 USD! per/Gal

Location: Rio Rico, AZ | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nick,

that is a fail.

does not mean don't burn it, just that it is probably not converted to near ASTM standard.

Andrew

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how bad is it?? is it/could it be harmful to my engine, Im still testing this was a 1 liter test batch, and it was not washed nor dryed would that affects the 3/27 test results at all?

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX

posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell how much of it there is in there. Tilt it to one side and guess at the volume.

I use centrifuge tubes: (Scroll to the bottom of the page once it comes up.)

http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page2.html

Yes, that is a shameless plug. That is my website.

I do the full 25/225 test. I start with 25mL of [edit] biodiesel, add 50mL of methanol and then shake. This gives me a 25/50 test. If it passes that you have some extremely well converted fuel. (I've never passed that.) Then I add another 50mL of methanol. This gives me a 25/100 test. Then another 50 for 25/150. Then another 75 for 25/225. If it passes before I get to 25/225 I stop.

I also dump my methanol/biodiesel into a jar and add it as bonus methanol to my next batch of biodiesel. (I do 20% methanol, plus whatever I have leftover in the jar from testing.)

-Jim

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Like Jim says, it is hard to tell, but it looks like a pretty decisive fail, not right on the cusp of pass/fail, if we can see it in that container in a pic.

quote:
and it was not washed nor dryed would that affects the 3/27 test results at all?

If you were right on the cusp of pass/fail, then in some cases, washing is enough to make it pass. I have seen this several times. I can't say for sure why. Probably, the wash process is removing just enough mono, di and tri glyceride. Probably very little tri is removed from washing.

Andrew

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree that that is a definitive fail. A definitive pass would mean that you wouldn't see **any** darker/heavier layer at the bottom- it would all be one crisp and clear, light-colored phase.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When your 3/27 fails what can you do to treat the Biodiesel to make it pass?

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX

posted Hide Post
Hello Nicknack2

RE-process it.
The "Standard" reprocess is 1g NaOH/1.4g KOH mixed into 50 ml methanol if the biodiesel is washed and dried and about 35 ml Methanol if the biodiesel is not washed for every litre of biodiesel/ oil.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when you say reprocess do you mean heating up the bio to 130 degrees and then adding the 1.4g/50ml and circulating for two hours?

istn' it dangerous to heat up bio if it has methanol in it?

posted Hide Post
Nick,
Forget biodiesel! You need to market that floating plate that the glass is sitting on. Big Grin How is it being supported?

biomax

Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biomax, you like that uh??? nice trick dont u think??? it is my 27/3 indicator if the glass and plate float it means definite fail!! hahahahah just kidding guy I appreciate all your help

06' Jetta, 2001 DURAMAX

posted Hide Post
Hello stwalker

It depends on how you heat the contents of your reactor. You will need to decide the safety part on your own.
As long as everything is liquid the reaction can be performed at room temperature. Just run the reaction for about 8 hours at room temperature

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nick,
Forget biodiesel! You need to market that floating plate that the glass is sitting on. Big Grin How is it being supported?

biomax

That is quite the optical illusion you have going there...I had to stare at it for a good 45 seconds to figure out what was happening. Confused

The graduation marks eventually clued me in... Razz

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post