BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    İ Fail The METHANOL test, can be saved or its a waste of time ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

İ Fail The METHANOL test, can be saved or its a waste of time ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
lass. Some types of glass will shatter if heated quickly. Some types of glass will not break if heated as quickly. Since sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide become hot when mixed with methanol, it will be better if you use the better glass to mix the methanol w

sir i finally melt the naoh in the methanol and add the my oil. it was 35 percent unreacted oil. now it has 10 percent unreacted oil. i am getting crazy here. what can i do now ? i dont have methanol left ?

posted Hide Post
Depending on what type of equipment you have there are a lot of things you can do. How do you determine that you have 10% unreacted oil? You can purify your biodiesel. By that I mean get all the soap out of it. Get all the water and excess methanol out of the biodiesel. How much biodiesel have you made? Maybe 40 litres?

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an old 35 litre paint tub and do it outside,stir it with an oid broom handle.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WesleyB:
Depending on what type of equipment you have there are a lot of things you can do. How do you determine that you have 10% unreacted oil? You can purify your biodiesel. By that I mean get all the soap out of it. Get all the water and excess methanol out of the biodiesel. How much biodiesel have you made? Maybe 40 litres?

i do 3-27 methanol test. İt show me that i have 10 percent unreacted oil.(i use 90ml methanol and 10ml biodiesel) there is 1 ml oil in the bottom of the glass.
How can i purify this without re process my batch ? And how do you make perfect batch you guys. İ heard a lot of dudes making 2000 LİTER batchs. and pass the 3-27 test.
İ must be perfect bio because i am gonna use 2008 passat tdi.

posted Hide Post
I have purified crude biodiesel by water washing, then drying the washed biodiesel. Water washes out the soap, excess methanol and residual catalyst, leaving wet biodiesel. Your product might have some unreacted vegetable oil in it. I suppose the failure in your 10/90 test might be because of soap in the crude biodiesel. I used distilled water to wash small amounts of biodiesel with. Some people use tap water (drinking water).

posted Hide Post
Another way to purify crude biodiesel is without washing with water. One way is to use a bubbler. Bubbling air through the warm biodiesel causes the methanol and water present to evaporate away. This bubbling method takes patience. A man who has seen it done said it can take days to remove the excess methanol and water. Then the biodiesel is left undisturbed for the soap and more glycerine to settle out. Some people use clean wood chips to remove most of the rest of the soap. That's a type of dry wash method for crude biodiesel. You might still have some unreacted vegetable oil in your biodiesel. If you read the biodiesel forum enough you will find more information on how to purify your biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
You don't need to do the entire batch the first time with water washing or dry washing, you might do 500 millilitres of the crude biodiesel as a test batch to see how different purification methods work for you. Another method of purifying crude biodiesel after removing the glycerine lower layer is to boil off the excess methanol and a little water in a vacuum distillation apparatus. Then let the biodiesel settle a day or more, undisturbed. Pour off the upper liquid leaving the bottom liquid behind. Then dry wash with clean, dried wood chips or magnesium silicate. I have read some people use ion exchange resin, but I do not understand how that works. Biodiesel ought to be purified to remove soap, excess methanol, water, and residual catalyst from the fuel.

posted Hide Post
The glass is called Borosilicate glass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass
I prepare my methoxyde in a blue HDPE container.
I pour 35L methanol first and half kilo KOH next. I add half kilo KOH 5 to 10 minutes later, until the whole amount is added.

I have preparing methoxyde in small amounts - up to 4 liters in translucent HDPE jerry-can. The lye must be added in small amounts, elsewhere the HDPE container could be melted.

° can be diplayed, by using Alt+248(NumPad)

Location: Bulgaria | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys. i think i havent explainmyself celarly.
my problem is i have ten percent unreact,oil
how can i make this go away? Or make it reactes ?