BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    İ Fail The METHANOL test, can be saved or its a waste of time ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

İ Fail The METHANOL test, can be saved or its a waste of time ?
 Login/Join

posted
İ am start to make bio 5 days ago. Found a good quality oil but 92percent pure methanol. We cant find methanol easy in here. Some dudes trying to make local drink called RAKI and make themselves blind. Anyway i use 47L vaste veggie oil and poor 367grams Naoh in 12L Methanol i add 10 percent extra NaOH because someone said your methanol isnt pure enought so you add 10 percent more.
İ shake it methanol Naoh mix and poor in to the 60 degrees 47L oil.
And i released Naoh was not mix in the methanol almost all Naoh in the bottle. So i add almost 300Gram NaOH again. And make the bio. Ofcourse i didnt pass the methanol test.
Here is some pictures of 90ml methanol and 10ml Biodiesel test.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/373p...oto%C4%9Fraf0280.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqz1...oto%C4%9Fraf0281.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqz1...oto%C4%9Fraf0281.jpg

Anyone can help me ? İ got left 2L methanol and 1KG Naoh what can i do ? Can be saved ?
Here is all the pictures i got about my batch
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bjo...oto%C4%9Fraf0278.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axa4...oto%C4%9Fraf0279.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj4n...af0278%20%281%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj4n...af0278%20%281%29.jpg

And there is a video showing hard soap on my bio.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m22r...5h6r6z/Video0001.3gp
Please help me i am gonna use this on a TDİ engine it must be perfect. İ do anything to save this.

posted Hide Post
I tried to make biodiesel using 95% ethanol. It did not work. There was no biodiesel. Too much water. I expect that making biodiesel using 92% methanol will not work. Too much water. I would like for you to succeed, but scientific facts don't change. I can explain why but there seems to be a language barrier of a sort. I think you need 99% methanol and vegetable oil with no water in it.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
but i think some bio was there. i sucseed to make some but not much. have a 40 percent unreacted oil. how can i make this wright ? how can i fix it ?

posted Hide Post
How did you mix the methanol NaOH solution with the waste vegetable oil?

posted Hide Post
i add 45 liter waste veggie oil and 12 liter 92 percent pure methanol.and titration test became 1.7 so i must add 330 gram naoh but i add 360 gram because my methanol was not pure. and mix it. i take couple samples. as i send their photos i was thinking this is a good bio. but i released there was a 40 percent unreacted oil what can i now ?
How can i fix it ?
Could you take the samples ? Or video ? İ must know my thing is a bio or whatelse ?

posted Hide Post
Did 2 layers form after mixing for 1 hour at 60 degrees celcius? A smaller, lower, brown, glycerine layer and a larger upper biodiesel layer that is lighter in colour than the lower layer.

posted Hide Post
yes i already know darker one is a gliyserin man Smile But how can i be reacted all my oil ? İ told you 40percent of oil unreacted how can i fix it ?

posted Hide Post
Remove the glycerine layer. Measure how much volume is in the glycerine layer, if possible. How long did you react the methanol with NaOH solution with the waste vegetable oil? 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, maybe longer? Did a glycerine layer form after the reaction?

posted Hide Post
Yes at the end of the 1 hour mixture. İ have had glyserin layer. But i am asking you how can i react my unreacted oil. Thats all i am asking.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mustafa:
Yes at the end of the 1 hour mixture. İ have had glyserin layer. But i am asking you how can i react my unreacted oil. Thats all i am asking.

I am sorry you are having trouble. Did you say you are using 92 percent methanol? What is the other 8 percent?

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes 92 percent. and i think other 8 percent is water. methanol takes water on the air you know.

posted Hide Post
can i fix it guys. its really important to me. i dont have any methanol left.

posted Hide Post
quote:

But i am asking you how can i react my unreacted oil. Thats all i am asking.

yes 92 percent. and i think other 8 percent is water. methanol takes water on the air you know.

8 percent is way too much water. You cant get the job done using your wet methanol unless you dry it first.
When you have that much water in your batch your lye get used up making soaps instead of Bio_diesel. This is why you have unconverted oil in your Bio_diesel. If you had dry methanol you could reprocess your batch using methanol and lye. This would convert the remaining oil to Bio_diesel. But since your methanol is way too wet there is nothing you can do to reprocess your batch unless you first dry your methanol. You can get Epson salt and bake the water out of it and then use it to dry your methanol.

(502) 272-6333

posted Hide Post
quote:
Epson salt

sir i cant find any 99 percent pure methanol in here. All i got is 92 percent pure. İ use it gor 12 Liters merhanol for 45 Liter oil. And i have 40 percent unreacted methanol. So if i find any pure methanol,how much liter do i need ? How much liter methanol do the job ?
And if i cant find any pure methanol how can i use epsom salt ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Epson salt

sir i cant find any 99 percent pure methanol in here. All i got is 92 percent pure. İ use it gor 12 Liters merhanol for 45 Liter oil. And i have 40 percent unreacted methanol. So if i find any pure methanol,how much liter do i need ? How much liter methanol do the job ?
And if i cant find any pure methanol how can i use epsom salt ?

Heat epsom salt 450 Degrees F. It will turn white. cool it down. Google to see how much water epsom salt can hold. Put close to the right amount or little extra in your methanol. I always let sit over night but you shouldn't have to wait near that long. remove the Epsom salt. You can reuse it. Your methanol should be dry at this point.

(502) 272-6333

posted Hide Post
I have made biodiesel with less than 95 percent methanol. It just makes more soap and less fuel.
You can reprocess using 1ml/Litre NaOH, but you will need more methanol.
I would use 50 ml NaOH and about 3 or 4L methanol. Mix again at 65C, longer if you can.
You can do this again if you still need to. Never dispose of a batch. It can almost always be fixed.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The oldest method of drying alcohol is dehydration with lime.
http://journeytoforever.org/bi...manual/manual12.html

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
daniel i tried to make methanol naoh mix. i add to the naoh and in to the methanol and watch a movie. and i smell something discusting. when i go the bathroom i found my methanol mix exploade. my bootle is have a hole and i dont have any methanol left. how you mix methanol and naoh mix ?
Thank you. İ am gonna try to finish my batch after the holiday. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
I mix sodium hydroxide (solid) with anhydrous methanol in a glass container, not plastic.

posted Hide Post
There are different types of glass. Some types of glass will shatter if heated quickly. Some types of glass will not break if heated as quickly. Since sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide become hot when mixed with methanol, it will be better if you use the better glass to mix the methanol with sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in. I'm not sure what the better type of glass is called other than Pyrex glass. Most types of chemistry equipment are made out of the special glass. It withstands thermal shock better. I assume your explosion that occurred when mixing methanol and sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide was in a plastic bottle or a cheap glass bottle. Someone else might be better able to advise you on mixing larger quantities of methanol with sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and what type of container to do it in.