BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS





Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Fail the 3/27 test questions?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Fail the 3/27 test questions?
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted
So I fail the 3/27 test. I'm doing the test with dry wash biodiesel its clear and clean. So I instant get a fail reading when doing the test. I'm I doing my processes wrong. I'm doing 80 gallon batches using NaKoh the oil trittates at 3.0. I'm doing my base at 5.0. Using 16 gallons of meth on each batch and getting about the 16gal or more of glycerin
 
Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A few questions:

Are you processing using single stage or dual stage (80/20) method?
How many grams of NaOH are you using?
What is your process period (hours) & at what temperature?
 
Registered: September 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaxOilBurner:
A few questions:

Are you processing using single stage or dual stage (80/20) method?
How many grams of NaOH are you using?
What is your process period (hours) & at what temperature?




I'm using NaOH put 2,490 grams I let it process for an hour and the temp at 130.
 
Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Ok your NaOH base is plenty, temperature is good but process time may be light. You could even lower your base to 3.5-4% with good results.

I process for 3 hrs. at the same temperature (130) but I break-up the process using 80% of my mix, settle for a day or two, drain glycerin and and then finish the process with remaining 20% mix. I add my mix very slowly, up to 30 minutes for 4.5 gal., less for the remaining 1.5 gal. I find my conversion rates are very high (>98%) with this 2 stage method. I process 40 gal. batches w/ 15% methanol using oil that is pretreated down to .25 titration

Your batches are a good size and would benefit from the "resetting" that the dual stage process provides. Give it a try and let us know how it works out!
 
Registered: September 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaxOilBurner:
Ok your NaOH base is plenty, temperature is good but process time may be light. You could even lower your base to 3.5-4% with good results.

I process for 3 hrs. at the same temperature (130) but I break-up the process using 80% of my mix, settle for a day or two, drain glycerin and and then finish the process with remaining 20% mix. I add my mix very slowly, up to 30 minutes for 4.5 gal., less for the remaining 1.5 gal. I find my conversion rates are very high (>98%) with this 2 stage method. I process 40 gal. batches w/ 15% methanol using oil that is pretreated down to .25 titration

Your batches are a good size and would benefit from the "resetting" that the dual stage process provides. Give it a try and let us know how it works out!



How much glycerin are you getting from your 40 gallon batches? What's you
r average gallon amount? I get around 16 or 18 gallons per patch. I'm going to make another batch this weeked hopefully it goes well. The pump I have pumps 45 gallons a min. It seems to agitate the fuel really well.
 
Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I usually get 5-6 gal. of glycerin per batch. I've learned that it's more important to slowly introduce the mix to obtain good reaction than the actual amount of time the pump runs. I'm making my last batch this weekend before closing down for the winter. Tonight I made & placed outside my 3 sample jars with various blends (B100, B50, B25) to prepare for cold weather blending. BTW, what vessel r u using to process? Have fun!
 
Registered: September 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Member
posted Hide Post
I've had a batch that has failed the 3/27 test. What do I do now to complete the reaction of this batch?
 
Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
scheffy,

Drain off the glycerin, re-titrate, add your mix & continue to process as usual.
After you drain the glycerin into a container, let it settle overnight, take your sample from the top layer for titration. I use this method for my pre-treatment of oil before I start a new batch and it works well for me. Have fun!
 
Registered: September 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Scheffy,
Assuming that your initial recipe was correct. I have found that adding 5% volume of methanol and 1 gram of KOH per liter of oil has completed the reaction for me.
 
Registered: April 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Fail the 3/27 test questions?

© Maui Green Energy 2000 - 2014