BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    duramax and Bio
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

duramax and Bio
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about selling my 2004 6.0 Ford, and buying a 2006 Chev.duramax. I have not been on the chat for some time,and was wondering if there are issues with this motor and Bio? I have been using about 60% in the ford for about 18 months.Any info would be appreciated.

Location: Greenwood | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We run B100 in one 03 powerstroke and an 03 and an 04 duramax, all have 50-60K on bio with no issues, the worst thing about the duramax is changing the fuel filter, it is a royal pain in the ass.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine runs a two tank wvo system on his 04 duramax. He has put over 100,000 km since he started running wvo. He had to replace all his injectors, but the mechanic told him it was just due to the fact that they had over 250,000 km on them. other than that he has had no problems.

Location: Oshawa, Ontario. Canada | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Duramax, 15k on B100. If you ask me, it runs better on B100 than dino diesel.

Not to argue fabricator but personally I don't think the filter change is that bad. The worse part is removing the inner wheel well and even that ain't that bad with the right tool to pull the pins out. I've done it a half dozen times and can do the fuel filter, an oil & oil filter change, and an air filter change in less than an hour. Good luck.

posted Hide Post
Remove the wheel well? I remove it from the top, ten minutes tops. Pull sensor, twist off, exchange senors, fill filter with bio, twist on, insert plug, two cranks and go for a ride. Air and oil take even less time.

posted Hide Post
One thing I do know is the O rings on the duramax primer pump will swell up eventually and cause it to stop working if you run B100.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My primer did give me a problem. It was leaking fuel and would not stay primed. I replaced the
o-ring that seals the pump housing with one from the auto part store that was comparable. I can't believe it actualy still working. There is a guy that remanufactures them and says they will hold up to any kind of fuel. It's not cheap, but compared to the price of diesel, it's worth it. I found a complete filter assembly on ebay. When it is time to change the filter againi I'm going to install the one from ebay and then send off the other one to him to rebuild. Check it out:

http://www.dmaxwrenchkit.com

Good luck.

posted Hide Post
When we change the filter on my dads truck we just crack the air bleed bolt and stick the vacuum pump hose on it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
When we change the filter on my dads truck we just crack the air bleed bolt and stick the vacuum pump hose on it.

That's funny, I would have never thought of that. I'm sure it beats the hell out of pumping that thing 100 times.

posted Hide Post
We have 2 seasons of B-100 completed on our 06 LBZ Duramax, 07 Cummins, and 05 Sprinter. No issues to date. Just made a batch for the oil furnace. We are B-100 from mid March throu mid Nov. then B-50 till now. Just switched to D-100 today.

Fuel farmer, what all did you do to that LLY to get to 600 hp if I may ask?

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DUO Core,
Not to bore anyone but it is a list. Five inch ss exhaust turbo back, 120 hp rated injectors, efi Live programming, billet torque convertor, LMM turbo feeder, hd valve body, pyrometer so I don't melt anything, water injection( could use methanol mix),larger fuel lines, pusher pump, I did more but nothing but the six inch tail tip shows( a sleeper). I dyno'd in NJ 612 hp 1100ft sea level but this is my daily program, their is alot more there just not enough brakes or suspension not to make it scary. Forty thousand miles, fourth set of tires. And it's my farm truck so I have to stop there, no propane or nitrous.

posted Hide Post
Wow..that's awesome! What upgrades did you do to the trans besides the converter? I'm trying to get to 500 hp. Going to have the trans done next with a Suncoast IV and a Precision Ind. converter then add the AirDog II lift pump/filter. I have the transgo jr and am running a 420 hp tune. I've been using EFI Live for a year now and am still learning. I also use the Bio-Pro 190. Where abouts in Jersey? I'm in S. Jersey.

------------------------------
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself.

-John Stuart Mill

posted Hide Post
Duo core, Just passing Englishtown on way to visit family in NY for the dyno, I've left the tax belt and live in the much warmer, less restrictive south, NC.

EFI is still new to me, had been using Banks early on. I haven't had much time to play with it, really want a high mpg tune, the best I can get is 20mpg real light on the pedal. EFI should also be helpful to tweek for biodiesel as the high flash point is a built in timing delay.

The trans mods were done a few years ago by a company on the coast, Performance Innovations , Wilmington NC, Stage Five, triple disc torque convertor, high pressure valve body, beefier clutches, etc. They claim up to 700 hp and 1400 ftlbs, but if you go that route start reinforcing everything( trans mount, upgrade drive shaft, full synthetic gear lube, etc).

But the real weakness I have is everything else, after all it is still a truck. A 80/20 weight distribution, nearly 7000 lbs, light duty truck tires, an engine roar that can be heard by law enforcement, poising deer and a 500 ft braking distance, a .0005 G sloam. There are no suspension mods I can do and still tow a cattle trailer. So there it ends, only useful to scare the neighbors and teach Mustangs how to spell CHEVROLET, (pre goverment motors of course, when she dies I guess I'll be a powerstroke guy).

Love the Bio Pro, have you tried altering the recipe? I have some really bad chinese oil as my only source left(which is why I'm growing it now) and want to do a three stage, acid drain,test, acid/base rxn. I wish they would upgrade the manual for tweeking different titrations, "are you listening".

posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I do know is the O rings on the duramax primer pump will swell up eventually and cause it to stop working if you run B100.

Yes this has happened to me also. I rebuilt the complete filter head with special resistant seals I carry. No probs since then. Been on bio for 3 seasons.

Location: Norse | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do you get the seals from? I need to rebuild mine. I actually did it with an o-ring from the auto part store but I don't expect it to last too long.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Will it cause a stall condition or will it just prevent us from priming after a filter change?

Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnmatty:
Where do you get the seals from? I need to rebuild mine. I actually did it with an o-ring from the auto part store but I don't expect it to last too long.

I found some on ebay, vitron o rings size 320 or 321, a guess. Does any one know the exact dimensions? I want to keep some on hand, a lot cheaper than a rebuilt 300 dollar ripoff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUO_CORE:
quote:

Will it cause a stall condition or will it just prevent us from priming after a filter change?

Thanks

It just prevents priming next filter change.

posted Hide Post
Yes I do carry a reseal kit and these seals are bio resistant. Assuming the inner check valves are still good and do not need replacing (I have not come up with a solution for these since mine are still good), this kit will fix the problem for a lot longer than the stock rubbers. If you are interested, just PM me. Thanks

Oh and yes it beats the $300 replacement head...

quote:

Yes on both. been there done that...

Location: Norse | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you a vendor over at www.thedieselplace.com? If so, which one?