BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Reaction issues

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reaction issues
 Login/Join

posted
I just started using wood chips and used the correct method of washing them with methanol and biodiesel. I re-used the methanol I used for the wash for my next reaction, after reading that re-using it was perfectly ok. It was yellow in color (from the acids in the wood chips I assume). What I ended up with was glycerin that was incredibly thin and fluid (very dark as well) and biodiesel that doesnt seem to be quality. Heres my thoughts
1- The methanol wasnt 100% pure, so I used too little methanol and ended up only partially reacted
2- The acids from the wood chips affected the reaction and products
How can I check to see if the biodiesel is good and ready for demething and dry washing? I took a sample, and on top and bottom is a thin layer of what looks kind of like glycerin. It has the same look that occurs when you try to mix oil and water almost. Very odd.

Location: Central IL | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you using wood chips for a dry wash, to clean it up after transesterification and glycerine removal?

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of wood did you use ??
Kiln dried ?? is it possible there was some pressed
wood or particle board in there ??
I don't use more than 15% recovered methanol in the next batch.
IMO same would hold for methanol used for washing wood chips.
regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm using the wood chips for a dry wash after glycerin removal. I'm using oak chips, its highly unlikely theres any pressed wood in the mixture. It hasn't been kiln dried though, I just set it out in the sun for a few days to dry it.

Location: Central IL | Registered: January 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I've seen 3 layers after reaction has been at the top of the sight tube,
and it was oil that had not been exposed to methoxide. Does the layer on top of your batch
resurface after it's mixed in to the batch again ?? If it does I guess I would skim it off,
do a 3/27 on the rest of the batch and keep going. I would check the Ph too.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are picking up moisture in the methanol from the wood chips you could be starving the trnsesterfication reaction of caustic and making more soap. also if the methanol picks up acids from the wood these are neutralised by the causic again leaving your reaction shot of caustic. As Tom suggests, do 3/27 and check the ph of the methanol. could you not place that methanol in the still pot with some by product and end up with a more pure/dryer methanol for processing?

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Biotom I think you've got the right idea, I plan on mixing the methanol used from washing the chips and glycerin together and distilling it (I dont like the idea of putting pure methanol in a distiller that uses heating elements). It sounds like the reaction was just starved of caustic. How can I fix that? Just re-heat and react again? Or is it possible to wash out the unreacted portion, cut my losses and only get 80 or 90 gallons of fuel out of a 120 gallon reaction?