BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    How can I test acidic biodiesel with soap titration??

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I test acidic biodiesel with soap titration??
 Login/Join

posted
I use adsorbances to wash biodiesel instead of water washing. So I need to determine soap in my biodiesel after adsorbed. But when I was titrating for base catalyst, one of my adsorbance didn't change the color of phenophthalein at all. Then I tested biodiesel with universal indicator paper, it showed that my biodiesel is an acidic (pH~5 or 6) and when I dissolved my adsorbance with deionized water, it is an acidic too (pH~3 or 4). It means my adsorbance turns biodiesel to be an acidic. If I want to compare their efficiency for soap adsorption, How can I do with my acidic biodiesel??
Pls.help me find out the answer T_T!!

posted Hide Post
First, how are you washing your biodiesel? If you are using ion exchange, your soaps are being converted back into their constituent free fatty acids (which raises total acid number).

Check this link out for how to do the soap test

http://www.make-biodiesel.org/soaptest1/