BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Wht is this stuff? See Pix

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wht is this stuff? See Pix
 Login/Join

posted
I think I am having the same problem as Acorder
I have some samples set on my pump outdoors.
when its cold say below 40 F the BD is no longer clear. at about 45 F it clears back up. as you can see in the pix the whispy spider web looking stuff
what is it? This was reprocessed and dryed and passed the 3-27 test then this stuff came along.
I have been running this in my 92 Ford so no big deal. but would like to run itin my 04 Dodge but I want to make sure I have the best quality i can make. I also did the water test and it was
clear see the pix. any Ideas thanks

Imageebay_12-05-07_008.jpg (77 Kb, 315 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Sounds like cloud point. High melting point esters are waxing (freezing) and starting to fall to the bottom. As more and more esters wax (due to colder temps) the entire fuel will gel. Stick your sample in the freezer overnight and you'll see what I mean. No need to clean it again, just heat it back up.

You can suppress the formation of crystal waxes and gelling by mixing your biodiesel with diesel or kerosene. You can also use anti-gel formulas, but they don't help a whole lot with straight biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
Could be soap,do a 50 50 test. washed and dryed bio to H2O. Put both in a clear container shake, no soap in bio will allow both to seperate cleanly and quickly. light soap content will be slower to seperate and a third mid layer whitish in color will be between the bio and H2O.
Heavy concentration of residual soap will, emulsion and will not seperate.
Joe.D

Location: Western Mass. | Registered: March 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moboy:
I also did the water test and it was
clear

What kind of water test did you do?

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i put some water in a 2 liter bottle a about a liter of bd shook it up and got clear seperation
passed the 3-27 also

posted Hide Post
The wispy spider web is probably wax crystallization from it getting cold. It looks like it's dropping water out too.

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Moboy,
What kind of oil are you using, Cottonseede, canola, tallow or soy,or a blend? is any of the oil Hydroginated?
have you washed the batch?

I get this problem whenever I use Soy or add soy to the batch, hydroginated Soy is the worst.
I use new Soy straight from the press and Refined Soy as well as used Soy,it makes no difference.
I never had this problem with Canola,Tallow, Cottonseede,penut or olive oil,even when blended together even adding small amounts of Soy 20L to a blend of 280L it still happens and the temprature dosn't seem to make any difference.

These whispery stringy formations can be washed out again.
I filtered a batch and caught some of this stuf it's nearly opaque and slimy, I don't think it's wax because it washes out and desolves in cold water easily some was left in the reactor and draped itself over the heater elements as soon as water hit it it desolved in to a milky like wash water.

It still makes good Bio only a bit more stuffing around.

Ferraloil.

Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post