BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Weird Looking Glycerol

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird Looking Glycerol
 Login/Join

posted
This kind of goes along with my post below but it is different subject so I thought I would separate the two. I have been making bio for about 4 years now and lately I have noticed changes in my glycerol. As I process, I drain off a sample to test the progress of things. I put it in a clear glass and watch the separation. It used to be that the separation was like watching a dark cloud settle to the bottom of the glass which gradually solidified into a dark mass of brown glycerol. There were no globs or bubbles, maybe the tiniest grains of brown you could see heading for the bottom of the glass. Now I'm getting something that looks like a lava lamp. There are bubbles of glycerol that float around and gradually sink to the bottom where they combine with the other bubbles and make a glycerol layer. These bubbles can be as big as 1/8 inch but are usually smaller. This usually indicates that I'm going to have a poor 3/27 test but not always. It's just very different than what I used to get. Anybody else seen this? Any ideas? Could it be soap?

I process with about 20% methanol at 130 degrees for 2 hours typically.

Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post