BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    using failed biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

using failed biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering what the dangers were of using biodiesel that has failed the 3/27 ? if a diesel engine will run on svo anyway? I run b100 in my 03 F250 6.0

Location: ga | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well............ you could always give me the batch ill let you know how it werks out!

Location: Florida | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benz240d:
well............ you could always give me the batch ill let you know how it werks out!

LOL.. that's about it...

I think it kind of depends what you are using the fuel for. The robustness of the engine in question is going to mean a lot

If you're running bio in your new volkswagon, I'd suggest you make sure its top quality fuel. If its to be used in a farm tractor or skidsteer, I would just go ahead an run it without worrying.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Carpenter,
quote:
I run b100 in my 03 F250 6.0

I don't own a 6.0, but from friends who do, I gather that they have an unusually sensitive fuel system.

If it were my 6.0, I'd only run very well converted fuel. Buy this I mean fuel which passes 3/27 with no cloudiness at 67f or lower.

BTW, at what temp. did your fuel fail 3/27 and by how much did it fail?

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 69 deg. Pretty clear, with very little fall out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
At 69 deg. Pretty clear, with very little fall out.

How long did it take until you saw the fallout?

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
carpenter,

I'd recommend re-processing. You should be able to pass 27/3 with very little in the way of additional ingredients, heat, and mixing.

Andrew's right- generally speaking, the newer the vehicle, the more sensitive to poor fuel.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by sensitive I've used failed bio before and it all runs the same, great. I dont make a habit of using it. I was wondering if it had long term efects

posted Hide Post
fall out in about 3 min

posted Hide Post
carpenter,
quote:
generally speaking, the newer the vehicle, the more sensitive to poor fuel.

Yes. And, I understand that that particular fuel system has issues bio or not. Then there is the issue of warranty and if the issue was caused by bio or just the fuel system failing.

quote:
What do you mean by sensitive I've used failed bio before and it all runs the same, great. I dont make a habit of using it. I was wondering if it had long term efects

Great question. Truth is, as far as I know, no one knows for sure. But, whatever issues might show up are more likely to show up with poor fuel than good fuel.

Personally, unless the conversion was pretty bad, I'd probably blend it with a later batch that is much more converted. I find it hard to imagine taking washed dried fuel and re-reacting it. But, it is your truck.

In the future, run 3/27 in process and don't stop until you pass.

quote:
fall out in about 3 min

3 min. at 69f tells me you are not real close to the pass/fail cusp. If you are on the cusp it will take more like 15-30 min to see the fallout, IME.

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

posted Hide Post
I am making 55 gal batches and if a batch fails I mix with batch before and after.I am making about 1 to 2 batches per week soon I hope to build a 500 gal prosser at that point I will be using only bio that passes

posted Hide Post
I have the same question. If it fails 27/3, is it still better than running SVO? Or are there other issues that could come of it?
I don't think my fuel system is very sensitive. 1985 K5 Blazer 6.2l

1985 K5 Blazer CUCV
6.2l Detroit Diesel.

posted Hide Post
Did the glycerine fail to drop out?When I made biodiesel with ethanol and 1-propanol, where the ethanol wasn't 199 proof the co solvent effect didn't allow the glycerine later to form. I washed the reaction product with distilled water to remove the glycerin and soap to obtain a product. What do you mean by a failed batch? There are no failures, we learn from them all. "The experiment was a total failure" , well its not.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I say fail, I mean it didn't convert fully. I see some people on this site say not to use fuel that doesn't pass 27/3 but My thinking is that it is still better than SVO. Right?

1985 K5 Blazer CUCV
6.2l Detroit Diesel.

posted Hide Post
The Glycerine seperated out. Then I water washed it, and dried it but it's not perfectly clear like biodiesel should be. I even took 2 lites out and heated it on the stove to make sure there was no water in it and it still didn't get clear.

1985 K5 Blazer CUCV
6.2l Detroit Diesel.

posted Hide Post
The real problem with partially converted fuel is the intermediates that are in their like mono glycerides di glycerides & glycerine that will continue to separate. I dont think it is better than SVO you should use fully converted or SVO not stuff in between, unless of course it is a bunker oil burner you are running it in.
Also the intermediates are superior emulsifiers and hydrophyllic so moisture in your fuel will be a real problem if their is even a hint of soap near any of this and your in the poo. best of luck.

Location: south australia | Registered: November 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WatsonBrew; I expect mono and di glycerides have a high boiling point. Will they vaporize prior to ignition in a diesel engine,I don't know. If your 3/27 test failed fuel is dry, a drywash may remove the mono and di glycerides. Magnesol claimed that it did that years ago, when I think it was composed of magnesium silicate. The water wash removed most excess methanol, glycerine and soap. A drywash might remove the mono and di glycerides.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks for the info guys. Rather than risking any harm to my engine, I think I am going to put it in with my next batch to lower the titration of the oil. The oil I've been getting is pretty bad. It titrates around 9.

1985 K5 Blazer CUCV
6.2l Detroit Diesel.