I have been making BD for several years now, soley using the GL waterless process. I only recently got around to doing soap testing. I know what ASTM SPec BD is for soap content, what I am looking for is what is the typical homebrewer, using the GL waterless process, is getting. I'm looking to see if I am getting typical results or do I need to improve my soap removal process
better job getting the methanol out.
I seem to be getting my BD down to about 150-200 (not 100 ppm as original stated) PPM with less than 1 week settling
What are other people getting?
BrentThis message has been edited. Last edited by: applhead,
In my opinion < 150 ppm is fine.
I get to 100~150ppm after about 3 weeks of settling using the GL push/pull concept.
I plan on using a wood chip setup this year, my plan is to let the bio settle for about a week before passing it through the wood... Stay tuned...
Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
I too have been using GL's "Eco-System" process (not push/pull) for a couple years. With settling times of 1-2 weeks I have tested for soap and found levels of about 120ppm. I am exploring all three of the improvements you mentioned. Whenever possible I settle longer, sometimes 2-3 weeks. I am working on a way to add vacuum to my methanol distillation. I think I can reduce the amount of heat used and increase recovery rates. This winter I played with some wood chip filtering with test batches. I hope to do something on a larger scale this season.
Best of Luck!
"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps
|Powered by Social Strata|