BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    SOap Results and GL Waterless Process

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOap Results and GL Waterless Process
 Login/Join

posted
I have been making BD for several years now, soley using the GL waterless process. I only recently got around to doing soap testing. I know what ASTM SPec BD is for soap content, what I am looking for is what is the typical homebrewer, using the GL waterless process, is getting. I'm looking to see if I am getting typical results or do I need to improve my soap removal process

wood filtering
settling longer
better job getting the methanol out.

I seem to be getting my BD down to about 150-200 (not 100 ppm as original stated) PPM with less than 1 week settling

What are other people getting?

Thanks
Brent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: applhead,

Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion < 150 ppm is fine.
I get to 100~150ppm after about 3 weeks of settling using the GL push/pull concept.
I plan on using a wood chip setup this year, my plan is to let the bio settle for about a week before passing it through the wood... Stay tuned...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Brent,
I too have been using GL's "Eco-System" process (not push/pull) for a couple years. With settling times of 1-2 weeks I have tested for soap and found levels of about 120ppm. I am exploring all three of the improvements you mentioned. Whenever possible I settle longer, sometimes 2-3 weeks. I am working on a way to add vacuum to my methanol distillation. I think I can reduce the amount of heat used and increase recovery rates. This winter I played with some wood chip filtering with test batches. I hope to do something on a larger scale this season.
Best of Luck!

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post