BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Old as Dirt GC

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old as Dirt GC
 Login/Join

posted
I was at a University Auction this week and I saw Gas Chromatographs in the listing and went ahead and placed a $70 bid. I won. Now what do I do with these things? Will They even work?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

1996 VW Passat TDI - no less than B20 since February 2006

www.MSBiofuels.com

Imageoldgc_copy.jpg (40 Kb, 60 downloads)

Location: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: April 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I'd give gow-mac a call and ask them:

http://www.gow-mac.com/contact.html

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi IGNTDRV,
( congrats ) bying this GC so cheap but I thing its not a good deal !!!
its a very old type, without temperature programming capabilities and without electronic gas flow control.
First you need the following parts to make it work:

gas supply:
- helium or nitrogen source purity 99,998% from gas cylinder or N-generator
- artificial air supply 99,998% pure
- Hydrogen source 99,998% purity, from gas cylinder or H-generator
- gas Filter system for all three gases to prevent your GC from being
contaminated with impurities from the gas supply.

gas flow control:
exact stainless steel gas flow control and pressure valves and flow meters to determin the gas flow to your GC. (gas flow must be controllable down to some 5 -10 ml/min ! (500$ each, when bought new)

A/D converter:
Integrator (EBAY used for abt 40-100$) with either Digital output for a PC system eg. Agilent chemstation or analog output to a plotter.
several interface types if using PC setup.

PC System with analytical software (serveral 1000 $, new) or a plotter ( ??? )

- a matching column for BD analysis. (400 - 700$)
- a matching pre-column with fitting for the on column injection.
(50 - 100$, new)

- a syringe to inject your sample (40 - 70$)
- several chemicals to prepare your BD sample for injection (250 - 400$)
- glasware ......

- matched fittings for the column
(abt. 40 - 100$ depending on the type of fittings and column to mount)

to be continued ............

Questions to GOW-MAC:
1. What type of detector is installed.
Seems to me that a FID (flame ionisation detector) is on board.
2. Type of injector.

Best for BD analysis is an on-coloum injector, because you dont need the exact flow control for the injector port a split/splittless injector needs.

If there is a column aleady mounted, throw it away, it could be bleeded and will possibly wont work.

A general problem with this type of GC is, that it is not able to do temperature programmed runs.
So you cannot clearly detect some higher boiling ingredients of your sample.

The setup of this GC could take you months and several 1000$ on top of the
70$ you are going to pay.

sorry for dissapointing you so much,
I first stumbled into the same trap, then bought a used HP 5890 Series II plus GC in april this year.
In the moment I`m also not ready with all the stuff, but hope to start end of the year.

br

Dieter

looks like gow-mac builds this type of GC up to date:

I would not recommend using this device for BD analysis.

Imagepopup_400GC.jpg (26 Kb, 16 downloads) GOW-MAC GC400

Location: Germany | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks great though!

Just use it to make your workshop look like a 1960s movie villian's lair! Big Grin

Location: Not so bonny Scotland | Registered: March 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DJ8DS, Thank you for that VERY informative and concise response. I was worried it might be an overgrown paperweight. Fortunately, with regards to the $70 I paid, I got a bit more than just one GC, I GOT 4! (plus a few other neat extras - see full pic)

Eh, I'll probably hock anything I can't use on fleaBay and recover some of my losses.

Hibbo, I don't need to give the authorities any more reason to question me than necessary. With that in mind, however, I may keep one or two devices around for my Haunted House this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

1996 VW Passat TDI - no less than B20 since February 2006

www.MSBiofuels.com

Imagefullauctionhaul_copy.jpg (42 Kb, 32 downloads)

Location: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: April 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got all that for $70.00??? I don't really know what any of it is, but I'll bet it's full of copper wire. Seen the price of copper wire lately? That alone may be worth $70.00!!!!! Smile

Location: NW United States | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post