BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Clear 3/27 but with clear precipitant?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clear 3/27 but with clear precipitant?
 Login/Join

posted
Lately I have been getting a strange result in my 3/27 tests. I have been making biodiesel for 4 years and for the most part it has been a consistent experience until recently. I typically use 20% methanol and process at 130 for 1.5 to 2 hours. I test my product before I stop the process to determine if the process is complete. A typical failure is the usual cloudy mixture that eventually precipitates brown oil and the success is the crystal clear yellow tint. As of late, I am getting a crystal clear result with a penny size clear substance in the bottom. The separation is instant after I shake it up. No cloudy period. Normally that would be the sign of a successful test with no precipitate. I have never gotten this result before so I am wondering if there might be something else in my oil that wasn't there before. I settled the mixture and drew off the glycerin and reprocessed with about 20% of the original methanol caustic and the results didn't seem to change. I still had the penny size clear substance in the bottom of my test. The entire test is crystal clear, even the precipitate. Is it just difficult oil? I quit titrating years ago because it never changed.

Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, could it be unprocessed animal fat, what happens if you put the 3/27 sample in the freezer for an hour?

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will put it in the freezer and see what happens. I had thought it might be my methanol as I was near the bottom of a barrel but the last reprocess was with a new barrel of methanol so I have crossed that out. There should be some chicken fat in the oil but that has always been the case. I store my lye in an air tight barrel and it still looks fine. My oil source changes oil all the time so I was wondering if there might be an oil issue. As it is, I will be reprocessing this batch for a third time today and that has never happened.

Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to check if there is a possibility that something other than WVO was dumped in the receptacle like mineral oil or lubricant. This would explain the clear color and the insolubility in methanol. Is the color, smell, etc. of the WVO or biodiesel different from usual?

-PJ

posted Hide Post
If there is anything foreign in the oil no one knows about it. I am thinking it's just some really tough oil (high acidity). On closer examination the precipitate does look light brown so I guess it's oil. I reprocessed today again (third time) with about 20% of my normal methanol mixture and the precipitate dropped by maybe half. Normally if I have to reprocess once I get a squeaky clean 3/27 but this batch is really fighting me. I'm using a barrel of oil on my back row so there's a possibility that it is much older than what I'm used to. I think I'm going to go ahead and wash it and just blend it. If the next batch does this I'm going to go nuts.

posted Hide Post
before you start the next batch titrate. you my be better off to do a two stage process 80/20 or 70/30 this type of process works best with acidic oil if you don't want to bother with acid esterfication. If you do a two stage process be sure to drain the byproduct inbetween stages.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What temperature are you doing your 27/3 at?. If it's too cold it might just be a palm bio portion or similar falling out. The bright clear result is good but with fallout is unusual.

posted Hide Post
I think titration is good idea. I have to polish off my technique since I haven't had to do it in a long time. Johan, I don't think the temperature of my test is the problem as I keep my methanol around 70 degrees F. I also open a new bottle of HEET to test with. I'm also pretty sure there is no palm oil in my mix although that is a good point. They often switch between the various fryer concoctions available around here and those are typically peanut, canola, soybean, and cottonseed mixtures.

If the test had been the typical cloudy failure I would have not given it a second thought. It is crystal clear though with that bead of oil in the bottom. It is similar to what a cloudy test looks like if you let it sit over night. I had to look twice or I would have passed it.

Since the precipitate almost disappeared with my last processing, I am thinking it was just some old oil. Could have been compounded by my using the bottom of the barrel methanol on my first processing.

I'm going to start another thread on the appearance of my glycerol. It too has changed of late.