BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Soap Test Results

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soap Test Results
 Login/Join

posted
Just completed my first soap titration test, 67 PPM using NoAH. Any suggestions to reach 41 PPM? I wash so many times I lose track...problem is my "head space" is small...Going to re-test later in the week for comparison purposes.

Running B50-B20 in 05-06 PD TDI's, 2001 7.3l PSD, going to try 2005 MB CDI soon.

Currently water washing & air/heat/bubble drying down to manometer "dry sample" equivalent (<250 ppm)

Going to try IMB's enhanced 3/27 test, love his work! Smile

Does anybody have experience/knowledge with running high Bio blends in 2005 MB E320 CDI?

posted Hide Post
For personal use, don't worry about it. Neighbor runs a 2003 Sprinter(a CDI engine) on b100 about 1/2 the time with no problems.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could switch to a dry wash system or finish with a dry wash system. This will reduce soaps to a level that would be tough to measure without high end equipment. Anything below 60PPM meets ASTM specs for soap content when using typical soap testing methods.I run B-100 in my 2007 Diesel Grand Cherokee Limited which has the 3.0 liter Mercedes in it...and i have had no issues, your MB should not be much different.

Location: midwest | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not sure if this is a popular idea but I simply transfer my BD to air filter, allow to settle (soap drops off leaving ultra clear Bd) and through 2 barrels of woodchips for me ; perhaps woodchips are not possible for you depending on your setup but the BD will be very nice after the air.

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How soon after drying are you testing? My bio typically tests out between 70 - 120 right after drying but will drop 20 - 40 ppm after sitting for several days. I run B100 in my '95 Ford PSD all summer long and the only problem I have is with the fuel pump, have to replace it once a season. But other than that, this is the third season on B100 and still running fine.

"This biodiesel tis a cruel and heartless mistress we home brewers have chosen"

Location: MA | Registered: February 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frugalyankee2:
How soon after drying are you testing? My bio typically tests out between 70 - 120 right after drying but will drop 20 - 40 ppm after sitting for several days. I run B100 in my '95 Ford PSD all summer long and the only problem I have is with the fuel pump, have to replace it once a season. But other than that, this is the third season on B100 and still running fine.

after bubble dry/settle aprox 1600ppm
1st pass woodchips 320ppm
2nd pass woodchips 0ppm
2 vessels on amberlite 0ppm
pH 7 all the time

2002 jetta tdi chipped for aprox 60K and counting 8-9 months out of the year
2006 jetta tdi chipped 80K and counting ; no problems with either car

Not sure if anyone is using B100 on 2.0L TDi but would be very interested because this would be my next car if it would work...

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post