BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    Great 27/3 Horrible Wash Test

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great 27/3 Horrible Wash Test
 Login/Join

posted
Have a batch which passes the 27/3 test perfectly. However it fails the shake up wash test horribly. It takes 6 hours to fully separate and I get a 1/4 inch middle layer of soap. I am new to biodiesel so I want to confirm my understanding of these results.

Given I passed the 27/3 I have fully converted all my oil into biodiesel. Given I have failed the wash test I have made a lot of soap. Further the most likely culprit for this is water in my oil. Is this correct?

One final question. I have read if you have too much water in your oil all or most of your catalyst will be consumed in the production of soap meaning there should be unreacted oil. If I am right in my understanding how am I getting so much soap but also converting all my oil?

Thanks

JHR

Location: TX | Registered: October 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What washing method did you use after reaction? And what steps did you take?

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.......................or, maybe you didn't wash it?

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you using new oil? What was the titration (measurement of free fatty acid content) of your vegetable oil? Soap production also comes from the reaction of the caustic and free fatty acids. How much potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide did you use per litre of oil? Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post