BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Quality    New way to test BD for quality, simple

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New way to test BD for quality, simple
 Login/Join

posted
I had to replace my injectors in my lb7 duramax. When I saw what they looked like I was amazed. I run B100 as much as I can. I have about 60K miles running b100. The other 40K miles are of blending.

I have noticed something that I think is very important for all.

If you dont have perfect BD and you mix it with diesel, you will get a precipatate. Something falls out. It can be a liquid or a powdery substance. I dont know what it is and it dosent happen immediately.

My test is very simple. Take a few ml's of finished bio and put it in a beaker. put it on a hot plate/stove/burner and cook it till its gone. The better stuff will leave just a hint of residue and the crappy stuff will leave alot of black stuff.

I have started doing this my last batch. There is a comprimise here and what can you do if you finished a batch????? Hopefully others have ideas or experience.

02 duramax, bio since 04/08

Location: St Pete Florida | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually Its a combo of stuff.

FA salts, polymerized crap and maybe microbes(not likely), or minerals from tank of filters etc.

Location: St Pete Florida | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Well,

Biodiesel will be bright and clear with 1500 ppm of water.
Diesel will go cloudy at 500 ppm.
When you blend clear biodiesel with 1500 ppm of water with clear diesel with 500 ppm of water, you get a cloudy blend. Yes water will fall out.

Your test sounds a little like the ash test ASTM D874

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you tried taken a larger sample of the water you use for washing..assuming you water wash..of course..

boil this down..what left? anything?

for you maybe nothing, but I know I'll have some residue..why..over time I have it use H2SO4 to clean out the mineral deposits in the shower drain..yes its the only thing that works..in 15 yrs I only done it once but the 2nd time is coming up..

please share something about your filter process after the BD is finished?

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I water wash. Mist wash, many many times. Actually will try something different this batch. I have mist washed every time since i started. What I am going to do this time is mist wash 30% by vol, 2 times, drain, and then mist 30-40% and turn on pumps. Do this 2-4 times till water is almost clear. I usually mist 5-7 times then heat to 225F till clear/dry. I was always afraid of forming an emulsion. Now I feel comfortable with only 2 mists. Then use the pumps and really mix it up till clear??

I know it sounds dumb but after seeing my inj's I will explore this??????

Unless there is a better way to water wash??

posted Hide Post
I forgot. The 2nd to last wash is an acid wash. I mist wash with sulfuric added to mist.

Then polish it with regular tap water after.

I know its complicated. Purpose is to draw off the salts. Id rather have ffa"s than ffa salts in my finished product.

Make sense??

posted Hide Post
Sorry again. When my BD is finished I drain into tank. I have 2 filters on tank. I dont know micron size but they are napa. Pretty sure they are 10um. I have airdog lift pump/filter on my truck. My point is, if we dont wash this BD well enough, especially newer(01 +++) diesels, injectors will suffer. 23K psi and 10um particle is a MF'r. Actually its the unburned SHIZIT, that causes problems.

posted Hide Post
Or, you could simply set up a sawdust filtering set up or a sawdust/resin system and get perfect fuel in one pass.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
Or, you could simply set up a sawdust filtering set up or a sawdust/resin system and get perfect fuel in one pass.

Thats true, Fab and others on this board have had amazing results with wood 'shavings'

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES!

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I would like to see this test Hootep suggests performed on biodiesel cleaned with wood chips and/or saw dust. The test would leave residue behind if the biodiesel is picking up resins or anything else from the wood chips.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:

I very much need to figure this out. I would love to have something like that. I will search on here for this. I actually wanted to try magnasol but I cant figure out how to filter 50lbs of it. Probably take up 30 gals by volume. Ive search for filtering magnasol many times and everything I found was for a few pounds at a time. I would have to filter 50 lbs for my batch size. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
I would like to see this test Hootep suggests performed on biodiesel cleaned with wood chips and/or saw dust. The test would leave residue behind if the biodiesel is picking up resins or anything else from the wood chips.

Variations of this have been done on bio before, a lot of things would have to be quantified in order for this thing to have any meaning whatsoever.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
can you go into more detail Fab?

posted Hide Post
Can some one post links for using saw dust or wood chips.
Thanks

BTW, I tested a sample of one of my batches from a year ago. I save a sample from every batch. I did an NVR (non volitile residue). Its actually not an NVR because you are heating it so hot that you get some sort of decomposition product. Anyway i started with 10 grams in a tared 50ml beaker. I put on hotplate on highest setting. within 20 mins i was left with a 0.03 grams of black residue. If my math is correct I have a 0.3% residue. I didnt try dino yet but will shortly just for comparison sake.

BTW2, does anyone have a supplier for calcium carbide. otherthan ebay and united nuclear.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hootep:
Can some one post links for using saw dust or wood chips.
Thanks.

Try the "Dry washing section" of this very forum, it is full of threads about sawduct and wood chips.

Location: East Yorkshire | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hootep,

is you water considered hard or soft? hard water requires more washes than soft. if you're using soft I think you're over washing.

if you using the standard airdog filter setup. its a 2micron filter. you might want to verify and/or upgrade the filter on you pumping setup. I run a 2 micron on the output of my pumping setup. my truck also run the airdog with a 2 micron filter.

how much residue you have from boiling just water?

fyi..I water wash too. I filter using a 2micron filter during the last part of the drying. this is usually around 3-4 hours. then pump into my storage tank. pumping out of storage it goes through 30/5/2 micron filters before the vehicle. I do this because the tank is old and used..with a brand new clean tank I would only use a 2micron on the output.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it could be either soap or glycerin. sounds like glycerin to me. if it is breaking down and turning into acrolein/other byproducts. Also don't expect that the biodiesl itself is distilling off completely either, you are breaking it apart into ketones and other short chain byproducts that can leave a residue, it sort of depends on how quickly you heat it up and to what temp etc.

posted Hide Post
Hootep, you were "amazed" at your injectors in a good way or a bad way? What exactly are you saying about the condition of your injectors? Are you saying that your biodiesel was the cause of your injector failure?

I'm very curious as I have 40k miles on bio, myself. That is in a '04 Duramax.